Control stress through the first Art and Soul Fair

When the stresses of university life begin to pile on — be it an overwhelming work-load, dating drama or a feeling of isolation — the representatives at the Student Wellness Center know students become more vulnerable to fall into substance abusing habits.

To give students a healthy alternative to channel their anxiety, Beach Recovery is hosting the Art and Soul Fair Thursday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the West Speaker’s Platform.

“Beach Recovery, who sponsors the Art and Soul Fair is a substance recovery program that promotes connection with other students, and those struggling with addiction can be ok with admitting [their struggles],” said Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs Coordinator Heidi Ortiz. “There is no shame in recovery.”

The Art and Soul Fair gives students a day to play in the sunshine and reduce stress with interactive creative stations like painting, coloring, inspiration collage, jewelry and button making.

This wellness project is opened to all who want to participate, and learn how to create alternative solutions steering away from drugs and alcohol.  

According to the US National Library of Medicine, there is a growing international acknowledgement that creative arts can be beneficial for well-being and health. Art projects used for health benefits have been supported throughout many nations in the world.

“It is a time for all students to sit down, relax and create something,” said Health Resource Center Coordinator Heidi Girling.

Ortiz invites all students who want a reprieve from the stress of daily life, because the amount of stress they experience can be harmful to mental and physical health. This wellness project is opened to all who want to participate, and learn how to create alternative solutions steering away from drugs and alcohol.  

“Our biggest outreach is when students get caught with substance at their campus housing unit,” Ortiz said. “It poses a problem and they come into the treatment center.”

There will be information available through the “Wellness Warriors,” volunteers who help set up and work the art stations to answer any questions at the fair. The overall intention is to help students become aware of warning signs of substance abuse within themselves, or others.

Open recovery meetings for all addictions take place every Monday from 5:30-6:30 p.m. at the Soroptimist House and Alcoholics Anonymous meets every Thursday from noon-1 p.m. at Student Health Services in Room 268.

Ortiz said a lot of students may have addiction but find other care facilities away from CSULB for weekly recovery meetings, which she discourages.

“There is no need to hide personal information; [it will remain confidential],” Ortiz said. “I hope to tell students that Beach Recovery is a safe place, and being in recovery is ok.”

By taking time out to participate in the Art and Soul Fair, students can foster self-discovery through creative recovery and find a new hobby, away from drugs and alcohol.