Grads adds a tad of pizzazz

Gloomy weather didn’t stop soon-to-be graduates from decorating their caps Wednesday afternoon at the Day of the Arts Graduation Addition event.

Put on by Associated Students Inc., Day of the Arts Graduation Addition provided a chance for graduating seniors to come chill out and deck out their grad caps. With commencement right around the corner, students were quick to check out the University Student Union Southwest Terrace.

“I think this event is an awesome event that ASI is hosting,” said Danielle Carancho, political science major. “We’ve never had anything like this before, and it really gives students the opportunity to come and create their caps. I think it’s a great event.”

Rows of tables were filled with a wide variety of art supplies for students to use to channel their inner artist. With emotions running high, some students savored the moment and took their time painting and drawing.

Others chose a quicker method by using available stencils and alphabet stickers provided by ASI. Ribbon, decorative tape, glitter paper, bows, faux flowers and rhinestones also flooded the tables for students to use.

Aida Cisneros, geography major, used the materials provided to tell her own success story leading up to graduating.

“I have four children and sometimes you have to lead by example. That’s why I’m graduating with a lot of pride,” Cisneros said.

Most students’ graduation caps were dedicated to their major and their prospective future careers, like becoming a nurse or a lawyer. Some students decided to be more witty and play with words, with caps that read things like “don’t touch this” next to a cactus.

A handful of students took a more heartfelt approach while decorating and chose to focus on their families, heritage, adversities and the opportunity to go to LBSU.

“I’m doing this for my mom. I’m just trying to make a better life for me and my mom,” said first-generation graduate Jashwa Shahid, computer engineering and technology major.