Blog

7 days until Valentine’s; Craigslist, find me a date!

It’s almost that time of year again, Valentines Day! Or as it’s also known, Singles Awareness Day or S.A.D.

“Why am I single?”

“Why hasn’t anyone asked me to be their Valentines?”

“I don’t need a boyfriend, I have my kitty, Whiskers.”

Every year, the same depressing thoughts pop up in your head, which make you feel like you’re less of a human being because you have no one to buy you crappy flowers and a cheap box of chocolates.

With Feb. 14 right around the corner, I thought I would try something a little different: To find a date online!

Like many of you, I haven’t really tried to meet people over the internet. And like many of you, yes I have, that’s just something I tell people.

You hear the horror stories about people using fake pictures, posting fake information or trying to kill you, so you shy away from it a little.

For the sake of helping out all us singles out there, I posted on Craigslist to see if the internet would actually work this time in finding me someone special for Cupid’s Day.

Here’s how my post went (Click to enlarge):

If you aren’t familiar with Craigslist, it’s an online classifieds that helps people find “jobs, housing, goods, services, romance, local activities, advice – just about anything really” by connecting them to other people who may have what they’re looking for. 

In this case, we’re looking for romance, and oh boy, did I come across interesting people who are looking for interesting things to be done to them on Craigslist!

Click the ‘Personals’ section, select what you’re looking for and
post putting your needs out there. If people like you, they respond to your post, making a connection.

Lets just say, I didn’t find exactly the V-day date I had mind, but instead, interesting groups of people on that site. Literally, groups. 

Dating on Craigslist may work for others, but not for me.

I also tried Zoosk, which is a romantic social network with millions of registered users.

On this site, you can play matchmaker by setting up your friends with others, get ideas on how to improve your love life, browse through lists of nearby singles and even access your Zoosk account through Facebook.

I have to say, if you have a type, Zoosk will help you narrow it down through its search options. You could find exactly what you’re looking for on this website, at least in theory. It can connect you to people with similar interests, other qualities you find appealing and so on.

I browsed through profiles that stuck out to me, but this website really took out the getting to know your date part of the equation, since all their information was already posted on their page for you to see. What’s left to talk about on the first date when you already know everything about him or her?

The list of dating websites doesn’t stop there, however. Here are some, to name a few:

Eharmony.com
Match.com
LDSsingles.com (Mormon dating)
Gay.com
Muslima.com

You pretty much type in a descriptive term, add “dating” behind it and the search results will come.

So in conclusion, Valentine’s Day might be right around the corner, but so is a hooker; It doesn’t mean you’re going to date them. There’s no need to be desperate and have the need to look online.

After checking out a few dating website, I mu
st say, nothing beats the good old fashion asking someone out in person. 

If you see a cutie, ask them for their number. Get some Starbucks. Let them tell you what their favorite color is, instead of reading it off of their online profile. Maybe that cutie might be your date this Valentine’s. Maybe that cutie might be your future baby momma. 

We may have a few days left before the big day, but you have time! It’s not to late to avoid being single next week! 

Get yourself some box of chocolates! 

Good luck!