Blog

Feb. 29 is one day away! 10 common misconception about leap day..

Every leap year, the world becomes a more confusing place because of mistaken beliefs society has created for Feb. 29. What is this day about? What takes place on this day? Why do we even have an extra day in February? You ask these questions and get a million different answers back. Well, we’re going to clear up the confusion once and for all by dismissing common misconceptions about leap day and making things just a little more clear for you. You’ll be ready for tomorrow in no time.

Our leap year misconceptions list goes a little something like this:

10. “Getting pregnant on the 29th is impossible, let’s just go for it baby.”
False! This is a common misconception created by the male sex to confuse the female sex into going all natural. However, it is proven that the reproductive system does not take a break on the 29th day of February. Pregnancy is still possible. Be safe, always wear seatbelts.

9. “People born on Feb. 29 have superhero-like powers.”

False! Don’t push your friend off a building. Just because they were a leap year baby doesn’t give them the ability to fly. This is a very dangerous act and can possibly result in a broken friendship, as well as broken legs.

8. “Feb. 29 is like Vegas: Whatever happens on Feb. 29, stays on the 29th.”

False! Even situations that take place in Vegas take place in reality. What you do on this extra day does not always stay on February 29th… unless no one sees it.

7. “Every four years, God gets really drunk and accidentally puts an extra day in there.”

False! In no religious book does it state that Feb. 29 was created as a result of God’s alcohol consumption, or that God even drinks. It is true. It is written that Jesus turned water into wine, but no where in the Bible is it written that he was in AA.

6. “Having a birthday on Feb. 29 means you only age every four years.”

False! Individuals born on this day appear to age no differently than the rest of humanity. These birthday benefits usually celebrate their birthday on Feb. 28, or March 1. They may, however, appear to look younger than their birth certificate says, only if one of their very good friends is named botox

5. “On Feb. 29, Justin Bieber actually becomes likeable.”

False! Justin Bieber is likable every day of the year. His music is actually very catchy and many women want to have his baby. Or so they say.

4. “Feb. 29 is ‘No Pants On Public Transportation Day,’ also known as ‘NPOPTD.'”

False! Unfortunately, this is not an actual holiday. No government recognizes Feb. 29 to be a day where it is legally acceptable to use public transportation without your pants on. Although it would guarantee people giving you your space on a crowded bus, you may be arrested and I would not advise this, at least not on a cold day.

3. “Don’t bother studying on Feb. 29, everyone passes tests taken, and with flying colors. Even drug tests.”

False! Put down the joint and pick up your study guide. Professors do not accept wrong answers on tests, no matter what the day is. Neither does your parole officer. 

2. “Leap year gives us an extra day to live before the end of the world on Dec. 21, 2012.”

Unsure. I have heard that the Mayan Calendar does end on this date, but I’m not sure if the world will as well. I will get back to you on this one Dec. 22, 2012. Hopefully.

1. “Students love Feb. 29 because it give us one more day of school before having to leave for spring break.”

False! Can we be on break already, so I can sleep in and watch cartoons all day, then come back to school and tell all my friends I went to Cancun? Thank you!

In actuality:

“Leap year: A year with one extra day (February 29) and therefore 366 days long. The day is added to keep the vernal equinox on or around March 21.”

-Encyclopedia.com

So dump out all those misconceptions you had about Feb. 29, and flush the toilet. 

It’s just an extra day added to balance out some calendar cycle. Enjoy your extra February day!