Prop 19 supporters react to loss

Cal State Long Beach students gathered in West Hollywood to watch the election results for Proposition 19 Tuesday night.

The initiative, which would have allowed people 21 and older to posses, cultivate or transport marijuana for personal use, was expected to fail.

However, campus coordinator at CSULB  Yes on Prop 19 campaign David Olsen said he was still hopeful Tuesday night.

“I definitely think we still have a chance,” he said. “In any election, it’s hard to project winners. It would be a shocker in my eyes if it didn’t win.”

Olsen said there were more than 150 people at the viewing party, many of them CSULB students. He said those who have their medical card were beginning to celebrate their hard work.

The measure has had huge swings in opinion polls in the last few months. During the summer it looked as if it had the support to pass, however, momentum faded by the fall when controversy over the wording of the proposition worried some voters.

“The wording is really more of an outline than anything,” Olsen said. “After the proposition passes it is really more up to local governments to decide how to regulate it.”

Although the Los Angeles Times reported Prop 19 lost by early Tuesday night, Olsen said the atmosphere in West Hollywood was positive and he would not acknowledge defeat until all the precincts reported.