President of NAACP to lecture on campus

Benjamin Todd Jealous, president and CEO of the NAACP, will be kicking off black history month at Cal State Long Beach by giving a lecture in the University Student Union Ballroom at 12 p.m. on Thursday.

Jealous has been a prominent fixture in the civil rights movement and in the African-American community throughout his career. 

In addition to his work for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), Jealous has served as president of the Rosenberg Foundation, director of the U.S. Human Rights Program at Amnesty International and Executive Director of the National Newspaper Publishers Association (NNPA).

Jealous graduated from Columbia University with a degree in political science, and earned his master’s degree from Oxford University in comparative social research. 

Zella Johnson, NAACP college chapter adviser at CSULB, encouraged all students to come out and support the event. 

“It’s important to come out because [Jealous] is a civil rights activist, and, as students are becoming politically involved, it’s a great opportunity to not only meet someone of his status, but to listen to his lecture,” Johnson said. 

The lecture will be an opportunity for students to familiarize themselves with the NAACP and the civil rights movement. 

“[Jealous] wants to have a dialogue with students, faculty and the community about where we are today as a society,” said Kim Tabari, assistant director of student involvement and leadership.

The one-hour lecture will be followed by a question-and-answer forum, where attendees will have an opportunity to personally interact with Jealous. 

Ebonee Carter, a biochemistry major and programs assistant for the USU program council, said she hopes for a good turn out.

“It’s a good way for the NAACP to reach out and promote the upcoming elections, and for students to educate themselves,” Carter said.