Fewer students admitted by exception

In fall 2010, 3,267 students were admitted to the Cal State University system despite not meeting admissions qualifications.

In the last five years, along with total enrollment, the number of these students has decreased.

The CSU has a set of requirements for all student applicants. When an applicant does not meet these requirements, however, they may be granted an exception.

Students applying to CSUs must fulfill “A through G” requirements. The requirements specify which subjects a student must take and the number of years required in each subject. In addition, the CSU also follows an eligibility index, a chart with grade point averages and SAT and ACT scores.

Under the CSU system, there are two types of exceptions granted — general exceptions and disadvantaged exceptions.

General exceptions include, veterans, musicians, athletes or attendees of schools that did not offer a certain A-G subject. Disadvantaged exceptions include students enrolled in Equal Opportunity Programs (EOP).

“The majority of students admitted [with exception] were associated with EOP programs,” said Erik Fallis, a CSU spokesman.

In 2008, the CSU reduced the amount of allocated exceptions by 34 percent. Cal State Long Beach also allocated 100 fewer admission-by-exception students in 2008.

University of California, meanwhile, has “remained fairly steady” with the amount of exceptions granted, according to UC spokesperson Dianne Klein.

“Generally, the numbers have gone down because the population of students who need an exception has gone down,” Fallis said.

However, Fallis also said admission and recent budget cuts also account for the reduction in the amount of students granted admission with exceptions.

Although headcount enrollment in the CSU has decreased by 12 percent compared to 2008 levels, UC enrollment has increased from 2008-2010.

“The 2010-11 CSU allocation report estimates that even fewer exceptions will be allocated. The 2012-13 academic year is projected to allocate 2,965 admissions by exceptions.