Reed announces retirement

After a 14-year tenure with the Cal State University system, Chancellor Charles B. Reed announced Thursday that he will retire as chancellor as soon as a replacement has been found.

In a statement sent to CSU campuses and employees, Reed said it was an honor to serve as chancellor “during such a dynamic period in the university’s history.”

“Our campuses have continued to flourish even in the face of budgetary challenges and tremendous growth,” Reed said. “Throughout my time here, the CSU has grown by more than 100,000 students, and I have been honored to sign more than a million diplomas. I take great pride in the CSU’s mission to serve California’s students, and I am proud to have played a role in carrying out that mission during these critical years.”

In his time as chancellor, Reed battled state budget cuts to the CSU but also faced criticism for tuition increases and executive compensation practices.

“This ‘changing of the guard’ provides a unique opportunity to reflect on the direction of the CSU, and to improve the quality of education at the nation’s largest university system,” the California Faculty Association said in a response statement to Reed’s retirement.  “We sincerely hope and will actively work to make sure Chancellor Reed’s retirement will offer an opportunity to usher in an era of better relations between CSU faculty, staff, students and system management.”

Reed previously served as chancellor of the Florida State University system for 13 years.

Although Reed is returning to Florida to spend time with family, he is expected to remain chancellor until the Board of Trustees approves a successor.