Cal State Long Beach Associated Students Inc. update
By | 2016-09-07T22:16:13+00:00 Sep 7, 2016 | 8:31 pm|Categories: ASI, Campus, News|

Here’s what you missed at this week’s Associated Students Inc. Senate meeting: ASI President Marvin Flores told the senate that he was working on a campaign to increase the maximum amount of units a student can sign up for. During the first round of registration, a student can sign up for a maximum of 14 units. Flores wants to increase this initial number to 16 units. Flores also told the senate he is working on a “college hour,” when no classes will be held on campus. This free hour would allow clubs to meet during the week and students to decompress. “Students can take a break without worrying about class,” Flores said. Judy Lee, the marketing assistant for ASI, announced several events that will take place between September and November. The Sept. 11 Memorial Day will be held Friday from noon to 1 p.m. at the University Student Union north lawn. Condition for Tuition is a semester-long event where students who visit the Student Recreation and Wellness Center for 30 minutes or more will receive a point. If they accumulate 50 or more, they will be entered into a drawing for free tuition for spring 2017. “This doesn’t include additional […]

Here’s what you missed at this week’s Associated Students Inc. Senate meeting:

• ASI President Marvin Flores told the senate that he was working on a campaign to increase the maximum amount of units a student can sign up for. During the first round of registration, a student can sign up for a maximum of 14 units. Flores wants to increase this initial number to 16 units.
  • Flores also told the senate he is working on a “college hour,” when no classes will be held on campus. This free hour would allow clubs to meet during the week and students to decompress. “Students can take a break without worrying about class,” Flores said.
  • Judy Lee, the marketing assistant for ASI, announced several events that will take place between September and November.
    • The Sept. 11 Memorial Day will be held Friday from noon to 1 p.m. at the University Student Union north lawn.
    • Condition for Tuition is a semester-long event where students who visit the Student Recreation and Wellness Center for 30 minutes or more will receive a point. If they accumulate 50 or more, they will be entered into a drawing for free tuition for spring 2017. “This doesn’t include additional expenses, like housing,” Lee said.
    • Aqua Zumba will be every Friday at 1:30 p.m. at the Ken Lindgren Aquatic Center.
  • The senate reopened the application for a senator-at-large position since the candidates who were nominated did not show up to prior meetings due to scheduling conflicts.
  • The senate unanimously elected Andrea Alonzo as a senator for the College of Education. Currently, Alonzo is the student ambassador to the College of Education and works as a substitute teacher for the Long Beach Unified School District. “My vision is to work well with the faculty, staff, administrators and students… and to learn how [to become] an effective leader in the college community,” Alonzo said.  
  • Logan Vournas, ASI vice president, said that the Beach Pantry was “blazing a trail for other CSUs to have their own.”

Leave A Comment