Daily 49er and DIG Magazine take ACP/CCMA awards

SAN FRANCISCO — The Daily 49er and Dig Magazine took home 16 awards at the California College Media Association competition Saturday night.

The winners were announced at CCMA’s annual banquet at the Hyatt Regency hotel in downtown San Francisco.

Dig Magazine won first for Best Magazine Website, Best Magazine Story and Best Magazine Spread in the large school division with student populations above 10,000.

The Daily 49er earned first place for Best Breaking News Story for Ariana Sawyer’s story on the settlement of the faculty strike. The news organization also earned top honors for, Best News Video, Best Non-News Video and Best Photo Series.

The Daily 49er also placed second for Best Newspaper among large schools. Other winners were The Orion at Chico State, first; The Daily Californian at UC Berkeley, third; and the City on a Hill newspaper at UC Santa Cruz, fourth.

“I hate to brag about how proud I am of our staff, but that’s exactly what I am – proud,” said Micayla Vermeeren, Editor in Chief of the Daily 49er. “The quality of content we produced left no doubt that we’d be walking away with the level of recognition we got.”

The annual student media contest generates roughly a thousand entries from colleges, universities and community colleges all over the state. This year, 37 community colleges, Cal State Universities and Universities of California submitted a total of 1,182 pieces of media.

The Daily 49er also won first place from the Associated Collegiate Press on Sunday for Best of Show and eighth for Best Special Section for Localmotif, the music issue. ACP awards were a part of the National Midwinter Convention, which was held in congruence with the CCMA awards banquet at the same hotel.