10 reasons to start drinking local coffee in Long Beach

1. Did you know that dark roasted coffees potentially contribute to the development of cancer?

A chemical called acrylamide is produced when the beans are roasted for too long. That is why you see the warning signs at Starbucks and not at your local coffee shop. The darker the coffee beans, the longer they have been roasted for, and the more carcinogenic it becomes, according to the American Cancer Society. Corporate coffee companies almost always roast their coffees darker because they are appealing to the parts of the nation with unsophisticated palates who are more interested in the traditional charred coffee of their grandparents.

1. Coffee, when not roasted too darkly, reduces the risk of cancer

According to the American Institute of Cancer Research, since specialty coffee is usually lightly roasted, it still contains all of the good antioxidants, and this actually reduces the risk of cancer.

1. Local coffee just tastes better

The packaging of the coffee you bought from the coffee chain lists flavor notes, such as blueberry, milk chocolate and caramel, but you can’t taste it. That’s because the coffee is essentially burnt. Lighter roasted coffees contain prominent flavor notes. For fruitier coffees, try a natural African from Lord Windsor on Third Street.

1. Light roasted coffees contain more caffeine.

If you stayed up too late studying (or something) and you really need a kick in the morning, going to a specialty coffee shop will be much more effective.

1. Supporting local businesses helps our city grow

The owners live right here in Long Beach, so if they profit, they will invest here too.

1. Look like a pro when you travel the world

No one will think you’re just another ignorant American when you ask for a macchiato and then look confused when you get a shot of espresso with a spoonful of steamed milk on top. “Starbucks manipulates both the coffee and the language of coffee,” Makai barista and manager Allison Bellows said. As a result, it is a little more difficult to communicate in the coffee world with these inconsistencies.

1. Local specialty coffee is educational

When you go in and order a drink, you can talk to the baristas about the farming practices, the processing and the science behind your coffee, making the experience that much more special. Coffee tastes better when you know things like its salinity and specific gravity, which baristas at Makai measure using a tool called a refractometer.

“It gives us a way to quantify brewing recipes for coffee,” said Roscoe Gordo, roaster and barista at both Rose Park and Makai Coffee. “This allows someone to brew the same coffee consistently and equally tasty every single time.”

1. Local cafes with specialty coffee give better service

Owning a small business isn’t easy, and buying the best coffee is expensive. This means that these cafes cannot afford to give you anything else but the best possible service, Bellows said. Also, many of the baristas are there because it is their career, so they are happier with their jobs.

1. Enjoy developing a better sense of your community

Although coffee chains have long lines and robotic service, specialty coffee promotes socialization in the neighborhood. You are much more likely to make friends there.

1. Help to support a tradition that has been incorporated into almost all societies

Countries all over the world enjoy coffee, but not everyone has a coffee chain around the corner. You will always have something in common with a friend in another country if you know more about how the rest of the world drinks it.