Men's Basketball, Sports

Morris to call Hungary new home

Donovan Morris will be packing up and bringing his game overseas to Hungary.

The former Long Beach State men’s basketball guard agreed to a professional contract with Falco KC-Szombathely, he announced via Facebook. He is expected to leave for the team Aug. 17.

The 6-foot-3, San Bernardino-native signed a nine-month contract for an undisclosed amount.

“It was the only deal that was laid down on the table,” Morris said Thursday. “It [was] the only offer and time [was] running out.”

After a look at the roster, Morris noticed he was the only American signed thus far and isn’t sure how he’ll handle the language barrier or what to expect playing in a country he knows “nothing” about.

“We’ll see how it plays out,” he added.

Morris, who has been staying in playing shape with pick-up games throughout the summer, averaged a team-leading 14.8 points in 25 games during his injury-riddled senior year with the 49ers. He battled a nagging right foot injury and was limited to coming off the bench for six games, but still earned an All-Big West Conference honorable mention selection.

The 25-year-old, who played for The Beach for two seasons after transferring from Fresno State, won the Big West scoring title in his junior season with a career-high 21.2 points in 31 games to earn an All-Big West first team selection in 2007-08.

“My best memory is just being on the court and having people (the ones that did and still do) believe in me and my abilities,” Morris said.