Men's Basketball, Sports

Maniacs set up camp at the Pyramid

A gym filled with tents, decorated black and gold banners and students partaking in pre-game activities are scenes typically associated with the Dukes and North Carolinas of the basketball world.

But the Long Beach State athletic program, along with the Monson Maniacs, are striving to recreate that big-time college basketball atmosphere at the Walter Pyramid.

Monson Maniac Co-President Anthony Olton describes the Maniac experience as “unreal,” adding, “What other outlet can you go to, where you can scream at the top of your lungs the most rude and obnoxious stuff and get away with it, and have your friends cheer you on.”

On Friday, Nov. 13, the athletic department will host a homecoming eve campout at the Pyramid. All Cal State Long Beach students are welcome to participate in the all-night rally leading up to the men’s basketball homecoming game against Alaska-Anchorage on Saturday Nov. 14 at 4 p.m.

The campout will begin around 10:30 p.m. on Friday following the women’s basketball game against Prairie View A&M. Students are encouraged to bring pillows, sleeping bags and tents in an effort to promote Beach pride.

“We are trying to create an atmosphere they are attracted to,” LBSU Director of Marketing Dedan Brozino said. “Here at Long Beach State, we’re in a situation where a lot of our students have a disconnect because they drive to campus, they don’t live on campus, so we have to almost create an atmosphere that’s conducive to a campout.”

In addition to the homecoming campout, this year’s Monson Maniacs will be eligible to win a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta.

” I have met a lot of friends, going to games and seeing the same people, getting more school pride, and networking is also a huge thing I’ve gained,” Olton said.

Maniac members will be treated to complementary food and drinks at viewing parties held at Legends, and Boston’s when the team is on the road. To join the group, students must pay a $5 fee, with the money raised going directly to the athletic program.

All students will be allowed into home games 90 minutes before tip-off, compared to the previous 60-minute mark, where they can visit the student concourse for complementary food and drinks funded by Associated Students Inc.

The campout is free to all students who present a CSULB ID card, and will include food and hourly special events with prize-winning opportunities, courtesy of the athletic department and its sponsors.

A DJ is scheduled to provide music from 11 p.m.-2 a.m., and basketball-themed movies will be shown throughout the night.

Further information on the event and the Monson Maniacs is available at www.monsonmaniacs.com