Soccer, Sports

49ers notch first win of 2010

The Long Beach State women’s soccer team (1-1-0) was nearly shutout for the second consecutive game, but in the waning seconds Nadia Link answered the bell.

Link made use of a rebound to sink the game-winning goal in the 89th minute against Fresno State (0-2-0) on Monday night at Bulldog Stadium.

It is the first career goal for the sophomore, who had one shot on goal in the 49ers 2-0 loss to Brigham Young last Friday.

The ball was kept alive by Jazz Strozier, who had her shot blocked, before Link put it away to seal the 1-0 win. A Shawna Gordon corner kick set up the entire play.

Head coach Mauricio Ingrassia said of Link’s goal on his Twitter page, “Nadia has come a long way, has worked extremely hard to get herself fit, and deserves this moment very much.”

LBSU’s win marks its fourth straight shutout of the Bulldogs.

Goalkeeper Emily Kingsborough played the entire 90 minutes for The Beach and collected four saves. The junior picked up six saves and two goals against in the loss to BYU.

Fresno State outshot the 49ers, 14-10, on Monday night, but LBSU had six corners to the Bulldogs’ four.

Link also picked up a yellow card in the contest.

The Beach will face No. 21 Washington State (Aug. 27) and No. 15 Virginia Tech (Aug. 29) in College Station, Texas for the Aggieland Invitational Tournament, put on by Texas A&M.