Sports, Women's Basketball

Ready or not, first-year point guard thrust into prominent role

As the Long Beach State women’s basketball team took the floor for its first exhibition game last Saturday, freshman point guard Brandi Henton made her LBSU debut. 

With senior guard Melanie Lisnock on the injured list, the newcomer from Modesto Christian High School looks to step up to the task and fill her shoes early this season. 

“It’s a good feeling, being out there on the court,” Henton says. “Now I have to prove myself and let them know that this freshman can do what the juniors and seniors are doing. I like the pressure; I had a lot of pressure on my shoulders in high school.”

Seven incoming freshmen are expected to set a foundation and be the future of the team, and Henton says she is excited.

“Rather than going to a school that is ranked or already better, I like it better here,” she says. “I get to [help] start something new being the underdogs.”

In high school, Henton helped guide the Crusaders to three Sac-Joaquin Section championships and scored 32 points in a game to set a school record.

Henton says LBSU head coach Jody Wynn told her that her role this season is to be the voice. Henton says she relies on her voice to lift people up when they’re down.

On the court, Henton plans to simply create — for both herself and her teammates.

“My main thing is driving [to the basket],” Henton says.

As Henton enters the regular-season opener Saturday against Oregon State, she expects to cover all grounds on the court.

“I want to be everywhere,” she says. “Rebounds, assists, steals, points — all over the court. Whenever the team needs me, I’m there, I got it.”