Daily 49er Video, Multimedia, News, Sports

Lifestyle expo brings action sports to Long Beach

The smell of gasoline wafted into the crowd as freestyle motocross riders turned, flipped and whipped their bikes every which way Thursday night, signaling the start of the Long beach Grand Prix.

Thunder Thursday and the Lifestyle expo at the Grand Prix brought action sports to Long Beach residents and visitors alike.

Freestyle motocross rider Rich Kearns entertained the crowd with Indian airs and nac nacs, whipping the bike while removing the front leg to swing it to the opposite side. He also teasingly wiggled his butt mid-jump to the live music that blasted across the street.

“It’s pretty cool to get to jump our dirt bike in front of all the Indy guys that are on TV all the time,” Kearns said. “It’s cool that they’re bringing action sports to these events, it shows the public what we’re up to.”

The dirt bikes painted the intersection of Broadway Avenue and Pine Avenue with black skid marks, leaving their impression on downtown Long Beach.

The rest of the weekend followed suit with fans retreating into the Long Beach Convention Center between races to take in the spectacle of thousands of corporate sponsors showcasing their products and giving away free merchandise.

The expo featured a special demonstration session with a few of the world’s top BMX riders and skateboarders. Riders cruised down a half pipe, contorting their bikes and whipping 360 aerials on a skateboard inside the arena of the convention center.

“Kids can’t walk in their garage and work on their Grand Prix car when they get home, but they see us and they can go home and try out these stunts for themselves,” Gabe Weed, professional BMX rider said.

Professional BMX rider Austin Coleman reminisced to his experience riding at the expo last year. He said that a young man approached him, telling a story of how he first watched Coleman perform at the GPLB when he was 11, and that he came back to watch him again ten years later.

“I was recently asked how many years I have been riding professionally and a fan came up to me saying that he watched me at his first Grand Prix event ten years later,” Coleman said.

Chris Esslinger, the director of communications for the GPLB, said that the goal of the Grand Prix is to welcome as many different segments of the population as it can. Event workers want to have something for everyone.

“[Action sports] draw in the younger crowd that are interested in the skateboards and the bikers, much like what we do on Pine Avenue with the motocross,” Esslinger said.

Esslinger also said that action sports have been an integral part of the lifestyle expo and that the Grand Prix is always looking to expand on the demonstrations.

The checkered flag waved in the constant breeze Sunday afternoon, signaling the end of another Grand Prix weekend in Long Beach. But for the athletes who embody the lifestyle of the Grand Prix expo, there is always next year.