Men's Sports, Men's Volleyball, Sports

Touzinsky out as assistant coach

Long Beach State assistant coach Scott Touzinsky announced his departure from the men’s volleyball program Wednesday evening.

It was announced Tuesday that Touzinsky was under investigation for sexual misconduct by the U.S. Center for SafeSport and was public on USA Volleyball’s website since fall 2018, according to the Press Telegram.

The probe involved improper communication with an underage female volleyball player in 2013 or 2014 from a volleyball training program in Canada.

Hawai’i men’s volleyball coach Charlie Wade is also being investigated by the same organization.

In a statement from Long Beach State Athletics, Touzinsky explained his departure from the program amid the ongoing investigation.

“I feel that my continued presence on the coaching staff would be a distraction during what is a critical time for the team,” Touzinsky said. “I do not make this decision lightly, but I believe this is the best course of action for the benefit of Long Beach State Men’s Volleyball. I am so proud of this team and I am so honored to have been part of this amazing program. This has been a remarkable journey.”

Head coach Alan Knipe and the rest of the staff could not be reached for comment on the matter.

Touzinsky is a former Long Beach State All-American and a 2008 Olympic Gold Medalist. He made his return to Long Beach in 2017 where he made his presence known on the coaching staff, helping lead the team to a 28-1 record and its second ever national championship.

Under Touzinsky, Long Beach produced five All-America selections and six Big West All-Conference accolades, including senior setter Josh Tuaniga, who was named the 2018 AVCA National Player of the Year and NCAA Tournament MVP.

According to Long Beach State Athletics, an interim replacement for Touzinsky will be named soon.

This story will be updated.