Monty Python’s ‘Spamalot’ brings outrageous humor to the Carpenter Center

“Monty Python’s Spamalot” has made its long quest from Broadway to Long Beach’s Carpenter Performing Center without losing any of the magic that garnered the show three Tony Awards in 2005 including best musical.

The musical lovingly ripped off from the cult classic film “Monty Python and the Holy Grail” is the closing show to the Musical Theatre West’s (MTW) 59th season and is the first regional performance in the musical’s history.

Before the show MTW producer and executive director Paul Garman said, “”We are very honored to do the first regional premiere with the original Broadway sets and costumes.”

“Monty Python’s Spamalot” is a loosely based spoof of the epic tale of King Arthur’s quest to find the Holy Grail. The hilarious musical is full of Monty Python humor with such oddities of as flatulent Frenchmen and killer rabbits.

The musical includes all the same lovable characters and gags made famous from the original film. Nothing left out, from the knights who say “ni, to Tim the enchanter, the Trojan rabbit and of course, the coconuts.

Theater veteran Davis Gaines wonderfully portrays the role of King Arthur, which was originated by Tim Curry on Broadway.

Gaines performed the role of the phantom in Andrew Lloyd Webber’s “The Phantom of the Opera” more than 2,000 times during his run on Broadway, in Los Angeles and in San Francisco.

After playing a dark moody role for years, Gaines is able to transform himself into the more light-hearted role of King Arthur. His comedic timing is impeccable and he is a true master of his craft.

Gaines is countered by Tami Damiano, who plays the role of the Lady of the Lake. The character was not in the original film, but is seamlessly inserted as Arthur’s love interest and moves the plot along.

The musical includes the famous tunes from the film including “Knights of the Round Table” and “Brave Sir Robin,” but also includes new original music from the mind of Monty Python member Eric Idle. New songs include the show-stopping “Find Your Grail” and cleverly funny “I Am Not Dead Yet.”

Idle also inserted into the show the song “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life” which originally was in the film “Monty Python’s The Life of Brian.”

Using the same props and sets from Broadway, the audience easily forgets they’re in the city that produced the career of Snoop Dogg rather than Harvey Fierstein. The ensemble is full of multi-talented stage veterans that bring the Monty Python tale to life. They can all sing and dance well-often at the same time-and are well trained at improv, with a final audience interaction segment at the end of the show.

The show will please many eclectic theatre-goers with odes to other musicals like “Fiddler on the Roof” and “Man of La Mancha.”

But, the show is also accessible to the casual theatergoers who want to see a light witty show that is an excellent adaption of one of their favorite movies.

All-in-all “Monty Python’s Spamalot” will have you reliving your favorite moments from the classic film in musical form and leave you galloping out of the theater on your invisible horse.

“Monty Python’s Spamalot” will run through Sunday, July 15th with both matinee and night performances. Tickets range from $18 to $75. Visit www.musical.org for more information.