‘The Purge’ seems great in theory, poor in presentation

“The Purge,” a film that has been buzzing on the lips of anyone who has seen the previews, will be in theaters Friday.
The film’s stars are Lena Headey from “Game of Thrones” and Ethan Hawke of “Sinister,” and the film is directed by James DeMonaco, who also produced “Insidious” and “Paranormal Activity.”
“The Purge” is set in the year 2022, when unemployment and crime rates are at record lows. Families are smiling at each other over dinner, and everything is fine and dandy. This peace has come about due to the implementation of a yearly purge, during which all emergency services are suspended.
Based on the trailers, the film doesn’t seem to explain the intriguing concept of this “purge.”
Rather, it seems to zone in on the fears of an extremely wealthy family that didn’t plan to partake in the purge until they are bombarded by killers in masks, who, upon pursuing a solitary man, threaten to break into the family’s home when their prey is allowed inside by a young child.
It’s unclear why a crew of killers is spending their 12 hours of murderous freedom on a single person, for the purpose of the purge is to allow those who normally commit crime to “blow off steam.”
While the basis of the film is intriguing and could make for a great sci-fi film, it is unclear if the director will delve into the concept of “the purge.”