Long Beach residents host the first annual Citywide Neighborhood Breakfast

Local non-profit We Love Long Beach recognizes that nothing brings people together the same way food does, which is why it’s inviting hungry neighbors from 9 to 11 a.m. on Saturday to any one of 30 breakfasts that will be served around the city.

Residents are encouraged to sign up via Facebook to open their doors and host breakfast. Those who don’t wish to host can still take part in the event by bringing any dish of their choosing—like a giant potluck.

“My hope is that people feel more connected and less alone and isolated from each other,” Scott Jones, executive director of We Love Long Beach, said. “This is just a stepping stone to more conversations, more trust, and stronger, healthier relationships with neighbors.”

Through the temptation of breakfast classics like pancakes, eggs and orange juice, neighbors can transform the dynamic of their blocks by laughing and sharing stories, Jones said.

“Part of being human is to be in relationships with people,” Jones said. “In the past neighborhoods have been a place of isolation, rather than connectivity.”

The breakfasts will take place all over town, from north Long Beach, to El Dorado Park, and from downtown to a couple spots next to California State University, Long Beach.

The citywide breakfast is only one of four events We Love Long Beach promotes throughout the year, including a summer ice-cream social and chili cookouts in the fall.

Getting to know your neighbors can be particularly difficult for some people, but Jones doesn’t see any barriers, only excuses.

“We’re trying to create positive excuses for people to get to know each other,” said Jones. “It’s like trickery.”

We Love Long Beach specializes in creating events that bring individuals from every corner of the city together, according to their site.

The official locations are posted on their Facebook page.