Arts & Life, Events, Features

Stressed students need look no further for the top five Happy Hour spots in Long Beach

49ers, we made it. The end of the first week of school is finally upon, and it is time to celebrate. What better way to ease the stress of new classes than Happy Hour? Long Beach is a cornucopia of groovy dive bars, pubs and cocktail lounges. For those looking for a temporary escape from the 2015 fall semester, here are some great Happy Hour spots to cruise to this weekend.

1. Roundin’ 3rd

4133 E. Anaheim St.

(562) 498-9900

Happy Hour: Every day, 3 p.m. and 9 p.m.

The Roundin’ 3rd is known for its fantastic customer service and delicious, affordable food options. Outside the Roundin’ 3rd looks like your typical sports bar, but the inside holds a crisp aesthetic that almost forces you to high-five the guy sitting next to you at the bar. With over twenty-five high definition TVs with sports packages like the Pac 12 network, NHL, MLB, NBA and Sunday Ticket, the Roundin’ 3rd should be batting first on your bar crawl list.

1. Congregation Ale House

201 E. Broadway Ave.

(562) 432-2337

Happy Hour: Monday-Friday, 3-7 p.m. Thursday-Sunday 12 a.m. – closing

Congregate with your best mates this weekend at the Congregation Ale House. This medieval gastropub has a large, eclectic selection of ales, IPAs and stouts. A full list of the beers available are kept in an electronic book on the pub’s website. The book also includes the House’s menu. Happy Hour (or “Mass” as they dub it) prices apply to food and beverages. Prepare to be blessed by the warm atmosphere that awaits at the Congregation.

ADVERTISEMENT: Ready to save money on textbooks? Shop online and save now! — 49er Shops

1. Riley’s Belmont Shore

5331 E. 2nd St.

(562) 856-1612

Happy Hour: Monday-Friday, 3-7 p.m.

Riley’s is a hidden gem amongst the bar-filled 2nd Street. It’s small interior creates a relaxing, neighborhood vibe. You can’t go to Riley’s without trying the pizza. Also, don’t forget to talk to the patrons behind the bar. Riley’s grows from word of mouth, and the people that work there will go the extra mile to keep you laughing, relaxed and drinking. But be wary. Although Riley’s is a forgotten sibling on 2nd, it could get crammed. Plan on going early and staking your claim.

1. The Attic

3441 E. Broadway Blvd.

(562) 433-0153

Happy Hour: Monday-Friday, 3-6 p.m.

The Attic is a Long Beach classic. If you live or go to school in the area The Attic is or should be your go-to bar. Even if you aren’t heading to The Attic for some alcoholic sustenance, go for their infamous brunch. This is a popular spot, so make sure you make a reservation, but it’s worth it. You’ll get Bloody Marys in mason jars, a creaky wooden floor and southern fare in classy presentations. Yes, it’s that good.

1. Crooked Duck

5096 E. Pacific Coast Hwy.

(562) 494-5118

Happy Hour: Tuesday-Sunday, 3-6 p.m. Thursdays 3-9 p.m.

The Crooked Duck feels like home. You won’t get service like the hospitable, lovely staff of The Crooked Duck from any other food service in Long Beach. You are treated like family at the Duck, and for good reason. The menu is fantastic. Melted waffles with pure maple syrup. Duck chili omelets. A gorgeous Egg’s Benedict. Go to this easygoing food and drink fest to take a much-needed load off. You’ll never want to leave.