Arts & Life, Events, Music

Goodbyes that keep going

If you’re still grieving over the loss of David Bowie, you aren’t alone. The month of February introduces a variety of David Bowie tribute shows, and even though Starman himself won’t be there, your one-stop guide to getting that Bowie fix will no doubt soothe your mourning heart.

1. Located in scenic Bixby Knolls, First Fridays is holding a David Bowie tribute night on, you guessed it, the first Friday of February. The event will include an altar for Bowie, where you can drop off your stardust and memorabilia as well as a Bowie karaoke night and a tribute performance by musical collaborative MOVE. This event will be located on 4321 Atlantic Ave. from 6:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m. on Feb. 5.
  2. The Smell is hosting their “David Bowie Tribute Show” on Feb. 10, an entire lineup of artists slated to perform starting at 8 p.m. The lineup includes artists such as Current Joys, Slow Hollows, Arjuna Genome and more. The Smell is a local Los Angeles venue for all ages located at 247 S. Main St.
  3. There’s no other way to pay homage to a musical artist without attending some kind of spoken word. Luckily, vintage store Meowmeowz is hosting its own Bowie-inspired open mic event on Saturday, Feb. 6. The event will take place from 8 p.m.-12 a.m., with sign-ups beginning at 7 p.m. Alcohol will be available if you’re feeling extra sad (and 21 or over), and there is a $4 cover charge. Meowmeowz is located in Pasadena at 2423 E. Colorado Blvd.
  4. Los Angeles-based band Homenaje will be performing a Bowie tribute show at the Highland Park Artwalk on Saturday, Feb. 13. Influenced by jazz, Cuban and African music, Homenaje’s (“homage” in Spanish) performance will be streamed by the Artwalk organizers, so if you’re unable to make it to the actual performance, you can still expose your ears to Bowie-tribute goodness. The event is located on W 4th St, in Los Angeles from 6 p.m.-9 p.m. The link for the online stream is to be announced, according to the Artwalk’s Facebook page.
  5. In honor of Bowie’s passing, the Helter Skelter DJ Crew is holding a late night function at the DragonFly in Santa Monica. The three-room venue will have one room dedicated to all things Bowie from 10 p.m.-2 a.m. If you’re planning on going, consider RSVPing beforehand to get $5 admission before 10:30 p.m. The DragonFly event is at 6510 Santa Monica Blvd. on Saturday, Jan. 30.
  6. The Band That Fell to Earth: a David Bowie Odyssey will be performing at the Viper Room on Feb. 4 for $20 (or $15 if you buy your ticket on the event’s Facebook page in advance) you can jam to the tribute band from 11 p.m. into the night. The Viper Room is located on 8852 W. Sunset Blvd., but unfortunately for younger Bowie fans, the Viper Room is a 21 and older venue.

[iframe frameborder=0 style=’width:100%;height:500px;’ src=’//www.zeemaps.com/pub?group=1822704′]