Arts & Life, Events

Contemporary dance jives at the Beach

Conventionality exists, even in the world of dancing.

The 2016 Contemporary Dance concert aims to break past the barriers of the conventional by dishing out bold and tenacious performances, according to Cal State Long Beach choreographer and dancer, Madison Clark.

“Sometimes as dancers and choreographers morph into adulthood, sometimes taking risks becomes less exciting and happens less often, which is what the whole concert is all about,” Clark said. “It is young dancers taking risks in their performances, choreographers taking on big ideas and putting their own perspectives in front of the audience, and designers challenging themselves to tackle on whatever it takes to make the choreographers’ visions come to life.”

Clark said that the entire concept behind this concert is based on taking risks.

The concert consists of eight dances, offering viewers glances into various methods of dance by framing them in a contemporary style. musical inspirations and artistic collaborations, according to concert director Sophie Monat.

Concert director Sophie Monat says that the performance is based on a number of artistic collaborations — namely, the choreographers. The Contemporary Dance Concert features the work of nine CSULB choreographers.

“Clark said the event will be a great opportunity for Long Beach, the dance community, and for the CSULB student body because the majority of the show is produced by the students.

“The department of dance is one of the best choreography schools in the country and it is a special opportunity to see fellow, undergraduate peers creating and performing work that is inventive, creative, and worth-while,” Clark said. “This show has so much variety and resonates with the community so well, it would be a missed opportunity to not come and enjoy the concert.”

The concert will consist of two performances. The first concert, Program A, will conduct four performances on Feb. 10-11 at 8 p.m. and Feb. 12 at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m.; a reception will follow after the 8 p.m. performance in the Theatre Green Room.

Program B will have performances on March 10 and March 11 at 8 p.m. and March 12 at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m.

All performances will be held at the CSULB Martha B. Knoebel Dance Theatre (located near the pyramid on Atherton).

Purchase tickets and get more information at the ticket office, by calling (562) 985-7000 or visiting www.csulb.edu/dance.