Dance it out

The Cal State Long Beach College of the Arts and Department of Dance are hosting a performance entitled “CSULB Dance in Concert” featuring two nationally and internationally acclaimed choreographers April 20-23.

The show will consist of six separate performances, two of which were choreographed by guest artists.

“Of the Earth Far Below” by guest artist Doug Varone will start the night off. The event press release stated this piece consists of a combination of fluid motion and agility as the dancers fall apart from one another and regroup to form dispersed trios and duets.

Guest artist Laurel Jenkins’s piece “Spring” follows with a performance that celebrates the significance each dancer’s contribution has on a composition as a whole. This piece mainly focuses on the labor of dance and what it takes to execute an exceptional performance.

The following dances feature choreography from the CSULB faculty. All performers in “CSULB Dance in Concert” are undergraduate students, seeking both bachelor’s degrees and Bachelor of Fine Arts degrees.   

“Students also design lighting for some pieces, which requires a good deal of skill and creative talent,” said concert director Lorin Johnson. “Taylor Worden [senior dance major] created the lighting for Colleen Dunagan’s ‘Coil’ as well as Andrew Vaca’s ‘Fences’.”

The faculty has put together a series of pieces that present a variety of topics and techniques.

Dunagan’s “Coil” mixes the hip-hop and electronica genres to create a high-energy piece rooted in vigor and athleticism.

“Witnesse” by Rebecca Lemme draws inspiration from ancient symbols of female power in her choreography. Her piece addresses the vulnerability and strength drawn from femininity.

Sophie Monet’s “Corrente Vivace” is a contemporary ballet on pointe inspired by Arcangelo Corelli’s music from his Concerti Grossi, Opus 6.

The last performance will feature Andrew Vaca’s piece “Fences,” which focuses on the aftermath of a relationship and the body’s desire to retract to the past.

The concert will be held in the Martha B. Knoebel Dance Theater at 8 p.m. with the exception of one matinee performance at 2 p.m. April 23.

Tickets are on sale now and cost $20 for general admission and $16 for students, seniors and Dance Resource Center members.