Arts & Life, Events, Film & Television

Movies on the House returns to CSULB

The first month of the semester is officially behind us. That means classes are rolling, homework is piling up and the stress is beginning to set in – you may be in need of a break. Thankfully, Movies on The House is back with a magical escape.

Today in the University Student Union building, Beach Pride Events will be showing “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” for a second consecutive day.

The popular film was written by the best selling author J.K. Rowling, who also created the Harry Potter series. The film is filled with adventure, taking its viewers on a journey filled with magic, mythical creatures and action.

Latifah Edobor, a junior and communication studies major, has been in charge of organizing the movie screenings this semester. The program assistant was brought on after expressing her interest in the event.

“This is my second semester running this program,” Edobor said. “It keeps being brought back because students keep voting for it.”

The process of how the movies are picked takes place the semester before. Surveys are distributed to students with a list of possible movies to watch. From there they vote on their favorites.

“Surprisingly, the animated movies are always a hit,” Edobor said. “We showed ‘Moana’ last time and students loved it. We had to actually turn people away from the night screening because it was too full.”

This semester, junior history major Ryan Taylor has been to two movies put on by Movies on The House.

Taylor was attending the 3:30 p.m. showing as a way to kill time before his night class.

“It’s perfect because I don’t have to leave campus,” Taylor said. “I can kick back and enjoy the movie without having to rush to get back to class later.”

Taylor says he would attend every Movies on The House event if he can. It just one of the many things he enjoys about being a student on the CSULB campus.

“It’s really cool that they show good movies for free,” Taylor said. “Plus it’s a cool way to meet people…honestly the best part is that it’s free.”

The film being shown this week hit theaters last November. Since its still not out on DVD, students see this event as a special sneak peek treat for whoever attends.

It’s free with a student ID and $5 for those without. The showings will take place at 3:30 p.m., 6:00 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.