Live After 5ive hits downtown

Long Beach residents had a chance to explore all of downtown Thursday night during the Live After 5ive event.

The showcase, put together by the Downtown Long Beach Alliance, provides free entertainment to the general public every third Thursday of the month.

“I think it’s a great way for the local community to come out to get to know the area and have a good time,” said Sarah Gee, a vendor for Downtown Long Beach Alliance. “It’s a nice free event.”

To honor Women’s History Month, the entertainment Thursday featured female artists, musicians, makers and business owners.

From the start at “The Loop” on Ocean Boulevard and Pine Avenue, guests chose between a trolley or a red, double-decker bus to begin their journey. Though their routes intersected, both buses rode through different areas.

At the beginning of the red bus route, guests and tourists heard music from Lola at the Hellada Art Center on Linden Avenue or enjoyed happy hour at District Wine or join DJ Poppy Monopoly at The Blind Donkey.

On Lime Avenue, Rebel Bite hosted a variety of acts, including an open mic, an open jam and a performance by Cosmic Music. The site also had a fire twirling performance by Primal Element.

After collecting stamps necessary for a raffle entry along the red bus route, which rode only through the narrow downtown roads, guests could then take the trolley route toward the beach.

Trolley riders were taken through the Shoreline Village and the Pike Outlets as well as most of Pine Avenue.

Along the way, they had the chance to stop by the Made By Millworks store to listen to jazz and smooth rock from Dave Williams, The Spare Buttons and Hedgehog Swing. Between First Street and Broadway, attendees had the choice to dine at authentic Mexican cuisine restaurant, Alegria Cocina Latina, where Spanish band Tian Musica livened up the night.

By the Pike Outlets, Ken O’Malleys stayed and performed at Auld Dubliner, which held happy hour all night.

Before the nighttime seashore winds picked up, Shenanigans Irish Pub, Parker’s Lighthouse and Queensview Steakhouse attracted many guests with drinks specials, high-end dining and live music by the ocean.

“It’s a great way for the people who live downtown or work downtown, or even visitors, to have fun,” said Nalysia Tea, events coordinator at Downtown Long Beach Alliance. “Because it gives people a chance to see local talent.”