Student Recreation and Wellness Center holds Rec Fest

Rec Fest, hosted by the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, kicked off the fall semester with food, games, activities and the movie “Detective Pikachu” for students to enjoy. 

The event featured tables for campus sports clubs as well as programs and resources to help student fitness and well-being. 

“We want students to realize there is something for everyone here,” Associate Director of the SRWC Maureen MacRae said. “We hope they have fun and relax while they enjoy themselves here.”

Among the resources promoted was Beach Balance, which offers educational opportunities for improving well-being, and the Owen’s Condition for Tuition program, which gives students the chance to win a semester of tuition if they enter and use the facility for at least 30 minutes a day.

“We use [Rec Fest] to find as many recruits as we can for the upcoming season in the spring,” ultimate frisbee player and fourth-year mechanical engineering major Kadin Mello said. “We want to expose, ultimately, to as many people as we can so we can build upon our team.” 

This being the first Rec Fest the ultimate frisbee team has attended, Mello said they hope to show students the team spirits and comradery.

“[Rec Fest] is a good exposure for people to look at the gym and see everything going on,” Mello said. “There are a lot of benefits and activity for people to do here.”

As students interacted with clubs and other resources available, food and music were provided just outside in the aquatic area of the recreation center. 

Lizeth Vazquez, a fourth-year hospitality management major, attended Rec Fest for the first time and said she was looking forward to enjoying the event with friends and meet new people. 

“I’m expecting a lot of people who regularly gather at the rec to come here today,” Vazquez said. “People who enjoy the rec center and enjoy working out.”