Local food pantries raise awareness for Hunger Action Month

Long Beach State, alongside members of the Long Beach community, have been working to provide resources for students facing food insecurities throughout the pandemic.

The Long Beach Community Table Team and ASI Beach Pantry have worked together to host pop-up drive-thru events, where those who register are given supplies, including groceries.

This September, during Hunger Action Month, these programs have been collaborating to raise awareness and understand what students with food.

More than 42 million people in the United States may have suffered from food insecurities throughout the pandemic, according to Feeding America Organization.

That is why during the pandemic, CSULB’s Beach Pantry remained opened to serve students.

“The ASI Beach Pantry has continued to provide resources to students via a weekly drive-thru pop-up event serving approximately 200 students,” ASI Development Associate Christina Limon said. “The success of this program has been made possible through generous community support and donations.”

The Beach Pantry not only provides food for students; they also offer toiletries, school supplies, and monthly distributions of hot pizzas provided by Dominos. The program is still participating in weekly distribution via drive-thru to maintain safety between volunteers and students, Limon said.

With the help of local food pantry, the Long Beach Community Table Team, CSULB has been working to distribute more organic produce, nutritious food, and bare essentials.

“We opened our warehouse to have food pantries four times a week,” Executive Director of the Long Beach Community Table Team Kristen Cox said. “We go to eight parks in low-income areas and deliver to people who are physically unable to come to us.”

Cox said that the Long Beach Community Table Team’s goal is to build and cultivate urban vegetable gardens that create a more sustainable and healthier living.

“We are a mutual aid organization, so we ask everybody to participate in whatever way they can, which also allows them dignity by providing a purpose,” Cox said. “By providing healthy food, we decrease anxiety, which decreases domestic violence, improves academic scores, and allows people to put their money elsewhere.”

CSULB also has the Basic Needs Program, which acts as an additional emergency service for students suffering from food and housing insecurities. The program, which may offer students facing basic need insecurities as much as $500 to deal with expenses, encourages students to reach out no matter how small or big the need is,

“There’s never enough awareness that can be done regarding basic needs,” Assistant Coordinator of the Basic Needs Program Genesis Jara said. “When we spread awareness, we also destigmatize basic needs.”