Arts & Life, Special Projects

Healthy eating in Long Beach

Long Beach has a host of healthy eateries.
Long Beach has a host of healthy eateries. Photo credit: Kristina Agresta

Eating a variety of nutritious and healthy food is a large factor in overall health and wellness. Finding healthy restaurants to eat at can be difficult, but these spots have everything from organic coffee and smoothie bowls to indulgent plant-based options.

Hungry Angelina

6420 Pacific Coast Hwy Ste 160, Long Beach, CA 90803

This vegan restaurant is located at the upscale 2nd & PCH shopping center and provides a fun dining experience that is healthy, satisfying, and affordable.

Only 6 minutes away from California State University Long Beach, Hungry Angelina is a great spot for a night out. The “Hungry Burger” is one of the most popular items on the menu, featuring an Impossible patty, their signature “Hungry Sauce,” and a brioche bun for $18. They also offer dishes like “Buffalo Cauliflower” and “Beet Poke” that replicate familiar flavors in innovative plant-based ways. Their specialty desserts are a standout part of the menu, including a gluten-free raw matcha cheesecake for $11.

Grilled Fraiche

2210 N Bellflower Blvd Long Beach, CA 90815

Grilled Fraiche provides a delicious blend of Caribbean flavors and California style while still catering to vegan and vegetarian customers.

With various options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, their menu covers a wide range of interests. Located 3 minutes away from campus, Grilled Fraiche is a perfect spot for lunch between classes. One of their most popular dishes is the “Halal Chicken.” This Caribbean dish served with plantains, vegetables, and rice is popular among customers for its kick of spice. This family-owned restaurant is also inexpensive, with dishes ranging from $4 to $16.

moonbowls

1388 Daisy Ave, Long Beach, CA 90813

This sustainable, plant-based, gluten-free Korean restaurant is great for exploring Korean classics with a plant-based twist.

They offer a variety of specialty bowls ranging from $13 to $16, including an option to build your own bowl with one of their many plant-based proteins. A popular dish is their “Korean BBQ Cauliflower Wings.” moonbowls is located 14 minutes from campus and offers delivery and pick-up options. These $12 gluten-free wings are shareable and come with a vegan ranch side. Chia puddings and edible cookie dough are also available at this innovative location.

Vibes Cafe

76 1/2 62nd Pl, Long Beach, CA 90803

Located on the Alamitos Peninsula, 11 minutes away from campus, Vibes Cafe is a great breakfast and lunch spot featuring great views, specialized coffee, and healthy meal options.

Due to the size of the cafe and limited parking, it is best to secure a spot on their Yelp waitlist and plan parking before heading out to this unique cafe. One of their popular breakfast options is the “Blue Bowl.” This vegan and gluten-free smoothie bowl, priced at $13, features popular health food ingredients like blue algae powder, passion fruit, and chia. Try one of their many house special lattes or cocktails on the side like the “Lavender Latte” or the “Frozé You Saw on Instagram.”

All four of these restaurants are great choices for eating healthy without compromising flavor. From the innovative fine-dining-like style of Hungry Angelina to the quick and easy Korean dishes from moonbowls, these spots offer a wide range of dining experiences.