Arts & Life, Special Projects

Intuition leads Long Beach residents to metaphysical store

House of Intuition began as a personal journey towards healing. In 2010, Marlene Vargas and Alex Nanjo opened their first location in Los Angeles and they have now opened 6 different locations in the L.A. area. House of Intuition is a place where people can find healing and acceptance.

House of Intuition is located on 2nd street in Long Bach, Ca.
House of Intuition is located on 2nd street in Long Bach, Ca. Photo credit: Julissa Villalobos

“We provide a safe space for people who are looking to heal the inner self,” said Diana Polanco, an employee at House of Intuition. “The idea of metaphysical is more about what’s on the inside, and by healing yourself on the inside you’re able to heal the outside as well. We provide a space where you are able to get help and guidance.”

Nestled in between the bars and restaurants on 2nd Street in Long Beach, stands House of Intuition, a metaphysical store smelling of sage and walls that are lined with candles and stones.

The first thing to catch your eye is the store’s slogan, “Your intuition led you here,” printed in bold black lettering behind the checkout counter. The layout of the store is very open and customers are greeted the moment they walk through the front entrance.

House of Intuition is a metaphysical store located on 2nd street in Long Bach, Ca. Candles for different spiritual purposes, are one of their best selling items.
House of Intuition is a metaphysical store located on 2nd street in Long Bach, Ca. Candles for different spiritual purposes, are one of their best selling items. Photo credit: Julissa Villalobos

Spirituality and the metaphysical are becoming more mainstream with the help of social media such as TikTok and Instagram. Now, people from all different walks of life can find the acceptance they are looking for. However, for some, the subject may still be daunting.

“I know aesthetically a lot of people think metaphysical stores are kind of untouchable or not approachable,” said Dennise Reynoso, a student at California State University Long Beach and House of Intuition employee. “At the House of Intuition we try to make it more open and our space looks inviting, people feel like they can approach us with questions and we like to be open with people when they come to us.”

House of Intuition is a metaphysical store located on 2nd street in Long Bach, Ca. Tarot card reading is a practice used to gain insight into ones past, present and future.
House of Intuition is a metaphysical store located on 2nd street in Long Bach, Ca. Tarot card reading is a practice used to gain insight into ones past, present and future. Photo credit: Julissa Villalobos

Spirituality and the metaphysical mean something different to everyone, and everyone’s spiritual journey is unique and personal. Spirituality involves prayer, rituals, or meditation. A person can practice spirituality using all these things or only a select few, but no matter the situation, House of Intuition provides the tools for it all.

“I shop here quite frequently and do monthly rituals at work and home. Ever since I started using their products the universe has provided me with the abundance and light I need. Everyone here is so helpful and knowledgeable,” said Jay S, a customer of two years at House of Intuition.

House of Intuition is a metaphysical store located on 2nd street in Long Bach, Ca. Candles, incense and stones line the walls.
House of Intuition is a metaphysical store located on 2nd street in Long Bach, Ca. Candles, incense and stones line the walls. Photo credit: Julissa Villalobos

The House of Intuition is open to all who are seeking guidance from 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday through Sunday at 5018 2nd St. in Long Beach .