Arts & Life, Features

Wood Coffee Co is a plant-based safe space for all communities

Just along 10th St. between Ohio and Temple lies a new small business on the rise. From its creative menu to vibrant front artwork, Wood Coffee Co. is ready to become a Long Beach staple for vegan and queer communities.

Nolan Wood, founder and owner of Wood Coffee Co., had been working in corporate coffee for 13 years until he made the decision to open his own business.

A shop of his own had always been a dream, and despite how time-consuming and detail-oriented the entire process was, Wood was determined to bring his vision to life.

“It took three years,” Wood said. “From planning, to funding, to build out, to city approvals, it was a lot of trial and error and figuring it out as I went.”

Nolan Wood, founder and owner, standing in front of the newly opened Wood Coffee Co.
Nolan Wood, founder and owner, standing in front of the newly opened Wood Coffee Co. Photo credit: Georgie Smith

And although creating the company was meticulous, one thing Wood was always sure of was that he wanted his menu to be completely plant-based.

As a vegan for over five years, Wood felt that it was important to have a business that reflected his personal morals as well.

“While I’m not trying to turn the world vegan by any stretch of the imagination, I think it’s worth doing what I can to support the planet to continue producing the ideal climate needed to grow our coffee,” he said.

WCC specialty, the “P.S. Chai Love You,” a pumpkin spice, chai, & espresso with oat milk.
WCC specialty, the “P.S. Chai Love You,” a pumpkin spice, chai, & espresso with oat milk. Photo credit: Georgie Smith

The shop sells both coffee and pastries, which are supplied by a local vegan bakery.

The entirely plant-based factor is what I think sets us apart,” Wood said. “While there are other shops in town that have a good variety, to my knowledge there are no other 100% plant-based coffee shops in Long Beach.”

In the future, Wood Coffee Co. intends to host events to support local organizations and provide a space for the LGBTQIA+.

Whether you’re looking for an afternoon study session or just a quick pick-me-up, Wood Coffee Co. strives to be a welcoming and safe space for members of all communities.

“We’re so lucky to have had such a good turnout in our first month and we can’t wait to keep growing with Long Beach,” Wood said.

Wood Coffee Co. is open from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. every day. For more information and updates, visit their website or their Instagram page @woodcoffeeco.

Nolan Wood (left), alongside another Wood Coffee Co barista, working through an afternoon rush.
Nolan Wood (left), alongside another Wood Coffee Co barista, working through an afternoon rush. Photo credit: Georgie Smith