Arts & Life, Special Projects

SRWC encourages hesitant students to take advantage of resources

Hesitant to take advantage of facilities beyond the gym equipment, psychology student Sammi Corteal used to visit the Student Recreation and Wellness Center only for the treadmills.

“I grew more comfortable with the campus facility,” Corteal said after gaining experience as a senior. “And once you do, you’ll start using more things in the gym and more services [the SRWC] offers you might be missing out on.”

The Student Recreation and Wellness Center at Long Beach State offers a welcoming environment for students with activities ranging from rock climbing to martial arts, boxing classes, massage therapy and more.

The entrance to the SRWC's check-in system is fast and friendly staff are always available to quickly lend an assist.
The entrance to the SRWC's check-in system is fast and friendly staff are always available to quickly lend an assist. Photo credit: Renzo Pocasangre

“There is something for everybody,” Maureen McRae, director of the SRWC said. “Even if you just want to come walk around our indoor track, or swim laps in the pool, or take yoga or meditation classes, there’s absolutely a place for you.”

Whether you're looking for Recreational basketball or a steady workout session, the SRWC has something for everybody. Make sure to check out availability for equipment and times for recreational use.
Whether you're looking for Recreational basketball or a steady workout session, the SRWC has something for everybody. Make sure to check out availability for equipment and times for recreational use. Photo credit: Renzo Pocasangre

Corteal also took advantage of job openings at the SRWC available through the Career Center Portal. She now works front desk for the rock climbing wall facilities which she now also frequently uses.

“Part of my degree requirement is hours at a fitness facility, so through [the SRWC] I’m able to get my hours and get paid, and even take do physical activities at the same time,” Julien Palmer, kinesiology student and SWRC employee said.

The newest healthy dining option on campus, Shake Smart is located on the ground floor of the SRWC. The menu ranges from custom and pre-built protein shakes to egg white breakfast wraps and açaí bowls.
The newest healthy dining option on campus, Shake Smart is located on the ground floor of the SRWC. The menu ranges from custom and pre-built protein shakes to egg white breakfast wraps and açaí bowls. Photo credit: Renzo Pocasangre

As CSULB expects more students to return to campus in comparison to past semesters, MacRae said that the SRWC is accustomed to an influx of students, with pre-pandemic semesters even reaching four to five thousand visitors daily.

“It’s important especially during [the pandemic] for students to focus on their wellness through exercising, meditating, or whatever makes them grounded during these times,” MacRae said. “It is proven that these can help decrease anxieties and stress levels, get better sleep, ultimately helping students get better grades.”

Facility renovations, brand new rental equipment such as camp and hiking accessories and a variety of programs such as the Inclusive Program for those with cognitive, physical and sensory disabilities are ready to extend recreational access to many students on campus for the new academic year.

A student practices basketball at the Student Wellness and Recreation Center.
A student practices basketball at the Student Wellness and Recreation Center. Photo credit: Anthony Ngo

“I would just advise students to not be afraid, there’s a lot of good resources here that are included in our tuition so try to make the most out of it,” Palmer said.

Facility hours and more upcoming events by the SRWC can be found on their website and mobile SRWC GO app.