The Daily Forty-Niner celebrates Día de Los Muertos

Leer en español

Día de Los Muertos is unique in the way that it celebrates both death and life. Its core message is that death is not the end, but the beginning of another great journey. Originated in Mexico, the holiday is celebrated in the first week of November across Latin America and other parts of the world.

Many families celebrate Día de Los Muertos with colorful altars honoring the family and friends that have passed. “Ofrendas” are offerings laid out on the altars for the dead to stop by and celebrate with their family before they continue their journey in the afterlife. Traditional markers of an ofrenda include the bright orange cempasuchil flower, candles, pictures and the favorite foods or items of passed loved ones.

No matter how you celebrate, Día de Los Muertos is an opportunity for all to keep the memory of their loved ones alive. This year, the Daily Forty-Niner and DÍG en Español created a digital altar where applicants could honor their passed loved ones. On behalf of the team, thank you to everyone who shared their messages and photos with us. We hope this altar brings you comfort and joy.

¡Feliz Día de Los Muertos!

Adalberto Espino
We miss you so much, Daddy!
Luis Zarate Cano
I miss you more than words can explain, dad. Thank you for all you did for us. You always put us first till your last day of life. Rest in peace, where you no longer feel any pain. Love, your daughter that will always need you.
Philip Kingsley
Miss you, dad. You would be proud of your grandkids, Ellie and Drew.
Maria Facio
We miss you every day, Conchita. You were so loving to the people around you, and your humor always made our day. You are a mother that is all things bright and beautiful. We will never forget you and the times we had together. Rest well.
Jose Feliciano Andrade
Jose was a family man who was strong, stubborn, and someone who loved with his whole chest. He was the man who brought his daughter food when she stayed late at school and who told her “Échale ganas” on the weeks she doubted herself in college. I hope he feels the love for him on every ofrenda he visits this year. Te quiero mucho papá <3
Jack Urata
Hi Papa! I can’t believe it’s been so long since we’ve seen each other but I miss you every day and I’m following your advice all the time. “A pocco a pocco vai molto lontano.”
Chris Emory
Oldest of five children and kind father to two kids, Chris Emory was a dedicated man who loved his wife, his family, country music and his work. Chris died on Nov. 27, 2021 but his memory will always remain in the hearts of his loved ones.
Panda Bear
Panda was my family’s dog since I was in second grade. He lived 15 years. Recently he passed on October 25. He was so full of energy and loved running around.
Allan Ramirez
Allan Ramirez was a beacon of light in this world. His smile and laughter could light up any dark room on any day. His selflessness and passion for helping people is what I will always remember him by. His smile was taken from us too soon, but I know he’s making everyone laugh and watching over me every day ❤️
Jose Martinez
While he had no children, he was a father to us all. Not his blood in our veins, but his lessons in our head, and his words in our heart. Con cariño, que en pas descanses.
Sonny Pocasangre
To Sonny, you've been my best friend since I was a child. We miss the runs and lazy days we would have together, Love you forever.
Lazara Solis de Lopez
To my abuelita, you were always there for the family, always blessing us with your presence. I miss your singing, your smile, your stories. Te quiero mucho abuelita <3
Ana Gloria Pocasangre
To my Tia Gloria, we love and miss you everyday. We will never forget your unending love and affection.
Steve Komarek
Hi Grampy! I miss you. More and more often I think about how much I’m like you and all the crazy conversations we could’ve gotten into. Can’t wait to see you soon and I hope you’ve had some adventures while you’ve been gone 🙂