The era of holistic healing is flourishing

Long before X-ray machines and pharmacies, holistic healers used natural and herbal remedies to cure most health issues.

The term holism refers to the theory that all parts of the whole are intimately interconnected. For example, if you are experiencing intense stress and anxiety, your body may show this through physical symptoms such as stomach pain, or fatigue.

Holistic medicine emphasizes the treatment that seeks to address all the dimensions of an individual’s life – the physical, social, psychological and spiritual. The patient-centered approach is a craft, especially when it’s done naturally as opposed to prescribing some pills and calling it a day.

A few benefits of holistic living include an improvement in overall physical health and emotional balance, reduced stress and anxiety levels and an advanced understanding of the world as a whole.

The fundamental of holistic healing is to evaluate each patient as an individual, not just an individual with a disease. Treatment includes healing alternatives such as massage therapy, nutrition, botanical remedies, acupuncture, meditation and breathwork, yoga, homeopathic medicine and more.

Holistic health has been around for almost 5,000 years and continues to evolve into a variety of treatment methods. Many holistic health practices are rooted in specific cultural traditions such as Chinese medicine, Indigenous healing and other healing forms that have existed for centuries.

As holism becomes a popular concept, it may become distorted and dangerous, making it susceptible to criticism. However, if practiced properly and by educated professionals, it could benefit our connection to ourselves and societies.

A study by the World Health Organization shows a 25% increase in global anxiety and depression since the COVID-19 pandemic. After sitting inside for two years with limited activity, unhealthy eating and lacking socialization, the growth of consumer interest in health and wellness has increased.

With the wellness market increasing, whether it be Gua Sha’s personalized vitamins, articles of “tips for self-care” or other nutrition and beauty products, consumers are increasingly valuing and seeking out product services that address needs such as mindfulness, fitness or nutrition.

A 2020 Future of Wellness survey found around 50% of U.S. consumers now report wellness as a top priority in their day-to-day lives; a significant rise from 42% in 2020.

Being more mindful of wellness than ever before, younger generations are starting to realize that not everybody fits into the same boxes in treatment. This is leading people to seek other treatments besides visiting a physician, such as holistic healers.

Palmistry is considered a part of physiognomy, the pseudoscience that associates traits with a person's appearance
Palmistry is considered a part of physiognomy, the pseudoscience that associates traits with a person's appearance. Photo credit: Cheyenne Elizarraras

McKinsey & Company identifies six dimensions of wellness for consumers including better fitness, health, nutrition, appearance, mindfulness and sleep. It overlaps with concepts of holistic wellness.

Spirituality, within the context of holism, can refer to the focus on taking care of your soul or spirit. Spirituality is one of the main components of holism with an emphasis on the principle of “belonging to a society.”

It may also become dangerous when wellness and healthcare lose authenticity and are exploited for profit. History and traditions get neglected and warped into something that completely loses their original purpose and practice.

Whether you are participating in health and wellness as a fad or because you want to better your body and mind, taking care of all aspects of yourself is important.