Design Adviser Gary Metzker Awarded Friends of Scholastic Journalism Award

By Loc Hoang

Gary Metzker, design adviser for the Daily Forty-Niner and DIG MAG, has been named one of three “Friends of Scholastic Journalism” award winners by the Journalism Education Association (JEA). This national award is given to individuals who have made significant contributions to scholastic journalism.

“I did not know I was being nominated for this award, so it was a huge surprise and great honor,” said Metzker. “This award is just verification that the efforts I put into traveling to different high schools in Southern California isn’t going unnoticed. I believe the time I spend going to different schools makes a difference in that students who may not have thought of Long Beach State as a place for journalism, now have a different idea.”

Metzker has been a full-time lecturer and adviser for student media at California State University, Long Beach since 2008. Students, faculty at CSULB and JEA members alike note that Metzker’s enthusiasm and passion are evident in all his interactions with student journalists.

“Gary is more than a friend of scholastic journalism. He is a champion for it,” said Jessica Young, MJE, adviser at Orange Glen High School in Escondido, Calif. “He’s a cheerleader, a coach, a die-hard fan and a participant, all rolled into one. I wish every community was as lucky as ours, to have a member like Gary Metzker.”

Metzker will be officially recognized during the Fall JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Convention in Philadelphia, Nov. 11 – 13.

Metzker’s advice to students, especially when facing challenges, is simple: Never give up!

“After graduating from the University of Missouri, I sent packages of my headline writing and design skills to about 100 newspapers around the country,” Metzker said. “And I received about 100 ‘thanks, but no thanks’ letters. But one person took a chance on me and I took that chance and ran with it. So, never, ever give up.”

Metzker is a popular and enthusiastic professor, adviser and mentor in the Department of Journalism & Public Relations at CSULB. He has helped hundreds of students – from high school through college – find and develop their passion for journalism. Congratulations Gary Metzker for this very well-deserved award!

About Daily Forty-Niner: The Daily Forty-Niner is an editorially independent, student-run, multi-platform publication that covers CSULB and local community news, arts and life, sports and opinions. First published as The Forty-Niner in 1949, the paper’s name commemorates the school’s founding year and the first edition of the paper, which was released less than two months after the opening of the school. Today, 49er student reporters continue to produce award-winning coverage of campus and city news and life. Daily news stories and coverage can be found on Daily49er.com and on the @daily49er social media channels.

About Journalism Education Foundation: Founded in 1924, JEA supports free and responsible scholastic journalism by providing resources and educational opportunities, promoting professionalism, encouraging and rewarding student excellence and teacher achievement, and an atmosphere which encompasses diversity yet builds unity. It is headquartered at Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas.