By Zayra Rodriguez
The Journalism & Public Relations Department held their signature JPR day event virtually on Wednesday, April 20. JPR Day features panels of media and PR professionals discussing their experience in the workplace, including networking and mentoring opportunities for students. The half-day event concludes with an awards ceremony that celebrates scholarship recipients, leadership in student-run clubs, excellence in student media and awards for top students in the department.
Daily Forty-Niner’s Chief Copy Editor Ana Acosta, a graduating senior, is one of the many student award recipients. She noted the significance of the award to her personal journey and professional career.
“I was so honored to be recognized for my academic achievements in the Journalism program at CSULB. It’s been a crazy journey to becoming a journalist and I am so grateful for all the professors and peers who taught, guided and encouraged me,” said Acosta. “This award really tied together my final semester at CSULB and it reminded me of how much I’ve achieved during my time here.”
This year, Daily Forty-Niner editorial and business staff members received 10 awards at JPR Day. Additionally, six staff members received scholarships.
JPR Department Awards
- Analissa Acosta, Outstanding Graduate in Journalism
- Christina Merino, Outstanding Graduate in Journalism
- Alyssa Canales, Academic Excellence in Public Relations
- Ashley Ramos, Distinguished Student Leadership in Journalism
Student Media Awards
- Ashley Ramos, Outstanding Student Leadership, Daily Forty-Niner
- Lauren Ramirez, Daily Forty-Niner Member of the Year
- Sai Lwin, Outstanding Student Leadership, Forty-Niner Student Media (business department)
- Jacob Mitchell, Forty-Niner Student Media (business department) Member of the Year
Student Club Awards
- Jonathan Bigall, SPJ Member of the Year
- Alyssa Canales, PRSSA Member of the Year
- Kaitlyn Rowell, Phyllis Jackson Memorial Endowed Scholarship
- Jonathan Bigall, Edison Institute Endowed Scholarship
- Reyn Ou, Gail Barfield Savitz Endowed Scholarship
- Ashley Ramos, Sebastian Perez and Alyssa Canales, Hollywood Foreign Press Association Internship Equity Scholarship
“A huge thank you to my advisers for recognizing me with an award from the Daily Forty-Niner,” said Lauren Ramirez, news editor. “I’m grateful to the publication for my journalistic experience, integrity, and forming lifelong friendships.”
Alongside the emphasis on student diligence, spotlighting outstanding achievers is one of the main ways professors can recognize the students’ dedication.
“It was such an honor to be awarded and recognized at JPR Day! I was so happy to be included alongside fellow journalism and public relations colleagues that are passionate about what we do,” said Christina Merino, Opinions Editor. “I’m so thankful to my professors who gave me the tools to make it so far and to all my friends at the Daily Forty-Niner. I’m also so thankful to my family for being proud of my award win as well! Thank you!”
CSULB’s student media grants students the opportunity to gain real-world experience working for a media publication. These awards not only aim to celebrate the hard work they’ve fulfilled, but they also represent the qualities and skills they’ve developed along the way.
For the latest updates and breaking news at Long Beach State University, follow @daily49er on social media, visit Daily49er.com or stop by one of our distribution locations across campus.