Blog

Living the simple life in Ireland

Guinness, potatoes, pots of gold, and sheep. These are some images conjured up when one thinks of Ireland, but there is so much more to the green country.

Imagine emerald green hills, as far as the eye can see; the sound of guitars strumming up and down every street; past collides with present when you see horses with buggies sitting next to cars. Try to imagine a city of people filled with strangers that just want to make you feel like kin, like you belong.

Aside from just drinking a few pints and having the ‘craic’ (Irish word for fun), my time in Ireland taught me how to truly live in the moment and enjoy life for what it is.

Although the whole country primarily speaks English, the national language is Gaelic, and every street sign still has words written in Gaelic above its English translation. Despite its being known as a ‘dead’ language, Gaelic is still spoken, especially in the older parts of the Irish countryside. “Sláinte!” can still be heard all around Dublin City Centre, which means “cheers”.

Ireland is a drinking culture, no doubt about that. People from other countries in the UK who consider themselves “more advanced” will tell you that the Irish are good-for-nothings that sit around and drink all day. I’ve had British and Germans chuckle at me after I told them I worked and lived in Ireland. Stereotypes are forever branded, but the jokes were never amusing because during my stay there, Ireland was home.

The Irish show up to work late, lunch breaks usually last longer than an hour, and the people will always tell you their exact opinion. Despite the minor quirks, the Irish are also the most genuine and kind people you will ever meet in your life.

They live the simple life: go to work, then the pub to throw back a couple pints and have a few laughs, then call it a night. Even in their most populated city of Dublin, made of a half million people, the small town vibe is very much alive. Everyone smiles, says hello to each other, and usually knows each other.

Untitled.jpg

Although they are one of the friendliest people you will meet, they know how it is when the going gets rough. Dublin can be a dangerous place at night and parts of the community are riddled with drug addiction, alcoholism, pick pocketing, and homelessness. Drunken old men are scattered across the streets at night or bundled in sleeping bags along the city center. However, the strange part is, they are not the people to be fearful of.

In fact, the most dangerous people in Dublin are pre-teens. Groups of these kids go around picking fights with strangers and pick pocketing who they can. They do this mainly out of boredom but also to score a few extra Euros. Just sitting on a bench around 2 a.m. I witnessed a homeless man get robbed, and on another occasion two of my friends got attacked by a group of a few 11-year-olds. Regardless of Dublin’s oddities, it is still the safest I have ever felt than any city in the United States.

A friend of mine in Ireland told me that the Irish say ‘good luck’ instead of ‘good bye’ because they acknowledge the fact that when a person leaves, it might not end up being so good. Because life throws things at you, sometimes all you can really do is wish that person good luck.

In our fast-moving society, we’re not familiar with actually listening for a genuine response. Likewise, most of the time we respond to the same question with nothing but ‘good.’ It’s easier and it’s faster this way.

In Ireland they take the time to ask you a question and expect an honest response. I’ve been called out for saying “I’m good” with a frown on my face, or skimming over the question entirely to small talk. They will ask you again until you give them an answer they seem fit, and I respect that they care despite their coming off as a bit nosy.

Here in the U.S., we are always trying to get to the next best thing. Some call it chasing the ‘American Dream’. We all have our own versions of it. And for some reason, when we get it, it usually isn’t enough. We always wonder— what next?

Born and raised in Long Beach, Calif., this is the way of life that I have known. Los Angeles is known for endless Bluetooth talking, hoards of traffic, and the rush to get to wherever ‘it’ is.

Living in the moment has become less and less of a reality to us. I knew our nation did that. But would I have ever admitted I was a part of it? Hell no, until I went to Ireland and woke up to the reality of it all.

“Is fada an bóthar nach mbíonn casadh ann,” translates to “It’s a long road that has no turning.” The English interpretation would be that life never goes completely smoothly or badly.

The next thing isn’t always better – it is right here, right now. Life flies by fast enough without living it in a rush and enjoying the simpler things it can offer.

Good job writing about a culture and how you enjoyed a new experience. This is what a travel blog post should be. You went somewhere new, and kept an open mind. That open mind allowed you to experience something awesome. You should give the guy that wrote the china article some tips on how to be a better person.

Beautifully written! Nice job … I feel like I know the country and culture now!