AAC assist students for graduation

The Academic Advising Center (AAC), located next to the University Library, has moved to the Steve and Nini Horn Center due to library construction. It will continue to provide services to Cal State Long Beach students.

While students are aware of the center, only a few can identify all of the services it provides. The center assists students in planning their academic careers at CSULB and is also the home base for undeclared students looking for academic guidance. But the center also helps students reach their ultimate goal – graduation.

“If students need help or are struggling in their classes, we encourage them to come see us in our new location in the Horn Center. We can help them or refer them to other campus services that can help,” said Marilee Samuelson, director of the center. “We had about 86,000 student contacts this last year. We have been given more staff to assist students and we need more space.”

The center has several advisers to help guide students through their general education requirements. Mandatory freshmen advising workshops help freshmen develop their schedules, while graduating senior workshops ensure that seniors complete all graduation requirements. Sophomore opportunity workshops connect undeclared sophomores with majors and career counseling, according to the center’s Web site.

Samuelson, who has been the center’s director for the 25 years, said the AAC “plays a role in helping students succeed. Our goal is to graduate every single student from CSULB.”

Other workshops and programs include freshmen and transfer student orientations for students who did not attend Student Orientation, Advising and Registration (SOAR), the Parent Orientation Program, Future/Adult Re-entry Student workshops and Strategies for Academic Success, a program specifically for students on academic probation.

Another program, the Graduation Green Light Project, headed by Associate Director Susan Black, is a program dedicated to students who have left the university before earning their degrees. The project assists them to complete their baccalaureates. Black also assists students who are on academic probation.

The AAC offices are located in Room 103 in the Horn Center. The center will resume services starting Aug. 21.

For more information, visit its Web at this location or call at (562) 985-4837.