ASI Senate hears SAAC presentation

Associated Student Inc.’s meeting began Wednesday afternoon with the introduction of the newly-appointed student to the board of trustees, Andrew LaFlamme, by Cal State Long Beach President F. King Alexander.

Alexander introduced LaFlamme as another example of a student who works for the student interest.

LaFlamme was appointed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger after being chosen from amongst three final candidates that were first reviewed by the California State Student Association, the statewide student government. LaFlamme, 25, is a full-time student at California State University, Stanislaus, where he is working on his master’s in business administration.

“It’s a pleasure to be here,” LaFlamme said while addressing members of the student body. “It’s nice to meet the students from different campuses because they are my bosses.”

LaFlamme’s duties include traveling to most of the 23 California State University campuses to address student issues. He attends CSSA meetings every two months at different state universities and the board of trustees meetings every month held here at CSULB.

There was also celebration at the beginning of the meeting with the renovations that were done to the senate chambers.

“Now you don’t have to hold your microphone to speak into it,” said ASI Vice President Hironao Okahana.

ASI was then given several presentations by different organizations describing upcoming events, including one by the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.

Amanda Perry, the secretary of SAAC, and player on the women’s soccer team, spoke to ASI about the importance of having ASI work together with the student-athletes.

“It really makes a difference when the stands are packed [at games], ” Perry said. “It’s a totally different environment,” she added, stressing the value of student participation at home games.

The presentation explained to ASI the importance of an integrated relationship between the student body and the student-athletes. In supporting SAAC, Athletic Director Vic Cegles said a better relationship builds a more confident student-athlete, which ultimately helps competition.