CSU students debate about war in Iraq

Some students from different California State Universities said the war in the Middle East is teetering on the brink of a political breakdown and no end is in sight for the “War on Terror.”

“I just want our soldiers home,” said Doris Leung, a film media major at Cal State Long Beach, on the war overseas. “It seemed as if their goal was to ‘free Iraq’ and make it democratic like America, which is good, but how can you change a whole different culture and make it a new one?”

With the initial 9/11 response of flag-waving, many citizens, including those in college, are wary of any optimism that may arise out of the conflict in Iraq.

“If there was a peaceful way to solve everything [in Iraq], that would be great,” said Nikki Dayanghirang, a nursing student at Cal State Bakersfield. “The war seems like a big misunderstanding. Mixed messages from the government via media made me lose sight of what our goal is [in Iraq].”

October has been one of the bloodiest months for United States forces with 105 deaths as of October 22, according to data analysis by Glenn Kutler of icasualties.org, an organization documenting casualty rates in Iraq. This marks the bloodiest Muslim holy month of Ramadan, Kutler said.

To compare this month’s casualties in the month of Ramadan, 88 U.S. soldiers died during Ramadan in 2003. Sixty-seven died during Ramadan in 2004. During the 2005 Ramadan, 97 U.S. soldiers were killed.

Now, the 2006 Ramadan is “the worst one yet for U.S. forces,” Kutler said. “This year’s casualties are more disturbing compared to other years, disheartening indeed.”

Students at different campuses have said the war in Iraq is running on its last threads. According to these viewpoints, the original goals perceived by the American public have become diluted and warped and this has had a negative impact on morale among Americans.

“[The United States] should call it quits, admit it failed,” said Daniel Hyun, third-year student at Cal State Fullerton. “If there are weapons of mass destruction, I think we’re done finding them.”

“The United States is just repeating history,” said philosophy major Keit Pham. “We’ve invaded other countries for our own benefits. How well has that worked out? Seriously, I don’t think this war will end. I think this is leading to World War III.”

The United States has initiated several invasions prior to the incursion in Iraq. Marking its territory, the U.S. government invaded Canada during the War of 1812. Then in 1898, a charge was led in the territories of Philippines, Cuba and Puerto Rico. In 1989, the U.S. buried its military flag in Panama. Coming into the 1990’s, America strategically placed tanks in Kuwait in 1991 and Haiti in 1994.

Despite the invasion in Iraq, a United States Marine said the United States needs to finish its job before any actions for pullout is enacted.

“The United States needs to be there. We need to get rid of the terrorists,” said Anderson Ho, a Marine and CSULB student.

“I wish all the soldiers in Iraq can come home, but they have a mission to do.”

Ho also admitted he does not believe the Untied States has any definite plans for the war.

“This War on Terror will never end because terrorism is an ideology and you can’t get rid of an ideology with just military force,” he said.

“Too many people are dying and we’re not benefiting from it,” said Vanessa Siordia, second-year student at CSULB. “The War on Terror will only end when Bush is out of office.”

Dayanghirang also concurs with the idea of a “hands-off” policy. “Helping can only help out in certain times,” she said. “Sad as it is, if they want to fight and kill, it’s up to them. It’s their lives they’re ruining…intervention [by the United States] can only go so far.”

Sophomore Alyshia Stockton wrapped up the general consensus regarding the war in Iraq. “Republicans and Democrats say Bush needs to get it together. I agree with them.”