Rwandan genocide survivor: ‘Don’t give up on peace’

Rwandan survivor Immaculée Ilibagiza introduced her book “Left to Tell” that describes her three-month survival of the genocide in Rwanda as part of The President’s Forum on International Human Rights in the University Student Union Tuesday.

To escape oppression and death because of her Tutsi title, Ilibagiza went into hiding in a bathroom with seven other women.

“They kept putting the seed that Tutsi’s were bad,” Ilibagiza said. “It was supported by people who had power.”

While hiding in the bathroom, Ilibagiza at one point said to the other women with her, “I know we are going though hard time … but maybe this is chance … for us to stick together and repent.”

According to Ilibagiza, the only radio channel available during those years often referred to the Tutsi tribe as cockroaches. She said that this helped plant the seed for genocide.

Stadiums and churches in Rwanda were bombarded with grenades for a hatred that stemmed from events in the early 1900s.

To this day, Ilibagiza said she still does not understand why any differences were wedged between Hutus and Tutsis.

“Genocide is because of propaganda from government,” she said.

Ilibagiza said she made it through because of her faith to God. Hutu regimes searched the house she was hiding in. According to Ilibagiza, it was her faith and prayers to God that encouraged the Hutu men to stop and not turn in the pastor hiding her and the other women.

Ilibagiza emphasized that genocide needs to be known around the world. “You have to have the courage to hear about it,” Ilibagiza said. “Then you can face it.”

According to Ilibagiza, genocide begins from feelings of hate and discrimination.

“If you can’t love another person … anything can happen … those are things that give birth to a genocide,” she said.

Freshman international student Claudette Rubangura is from Rwanda and was about seven years old during the genocide.

“She told all the truth. What she does is good because she talks about what happened,” Rubangura said.

Larry Smith, a film and electronic arts department professor, said, “It reminds me of the genocide of indigenous people here. The acts might not be as heinous or gross … but her stories remind me of ones our ancestors faced.”

Ilibagiza’s book “Left to Tell” was released in March of 2006 and reached The New York Times’ best-seller list. The book has been translated into 15 languages and was even adopted into some elementary and high school curriculums, according to Ikaweba Bunting, a black studies associate professor and the introducer for Ilibagiza.

“She credits her salvation,” Bunting said. “Her faith pulled her through this.”

Ilibagiza founded the Left to Tell Charitable Fund, which has grossed more than $150,000 for orphan children in Rwanda. More information can be found at LeftToTell.com.

Before her book signing, Ilibagiza concluded her presentation with the message: “Don’t give up on peace.”