A compassionate student remembered

Freshman CSULB student Jacob Alan Hefter, nicknamed “Jake the Snake,” graduated with honors in May 2008 from Palmdale High School and was the valedictorian of his class. He enjoyed playing Guitar Hero, Rock Band and BINGO, eating Cinnamon Toast Crunch and listening to AC/DC. He was also part of the PHS Varsity Golf team.

“He had a little putting green in his room to play with,” said his older brother, Jared, 23.

Hefter was killed in the tragic Metrolink train crash Friday on his way home to Palmdale from Long Beach. He was 18.

Mark Benz, a close family friend, described Hefter as someone who enjoyed life and “was just passionate about helping.”

Jacob’s mother, Angela, is a Health Careers Academy coordinator for the Antelope Valley Unified School District. Hefter was a four-year member of the HCA at Palmdale High School, which those close to him said had a significant impact on his life.

“It really awoke in him this desire to help people,” Jared said.

Benz also saw this desire in Hefter.

“He was always the first to volunteer if anything needed to be done,” Benz said.

Hefter enjoyed volunteering for the American Cancer Society, and he participated in the Relay for Life.

Through the academy, Hefter was able to compete at the state Health Occupation Students of America competition from his sophomore year to his senior year. Each year he won a medal in CPR and First Aid, according to Jared. He was also recognized as an outstanding HOSA member in California.

The academy offered a course in sports medicine, which sparked Hefter’s interest. The course taught Hefter how to help injured players on his school’s sports teams, which, Jared said, “was something he really loved and really enjoyed.”

Hefter chose CSULB because of its extensive kinesiology department, Jared said. He had just begun his studies this fall as a kinesiology major.

Benz received a phone call on Friday from Hefter’s parents, Alan and Angela, who were out of town at the time of the accident. They asked Benz and his wife to go to the scene of the crash, where they met up with Hefter’s family and friends.

Between 30 and 40 people came out to the scene the night of the crash, waiting to hear any news about Hefter, Jared said.

Benz said he felt anguish throughout the process of going to the crash site, then to Chatsworth High School to wait for the news.

“There were just times of quietness and reflection. Then there would be a new press conference,” and then back to the quietness, Benz said. In this situation, Benz said, “You just try to reassure everybody [that it would be okay].”

However, the thought of losing Hefter crossed many minds that night.

“Nobody wanted to consider the possibility of death, [but] the cloud of death was hanging over people’s heads,” Jared said.

Benz said it was heartbreaking to hear Hefter had been killed.

“That’s the first time I’ve had to go through something like that, and hopefully the last,” Benz said.

There will be a memorial service for Hefter on Friday. For service details or to make a donation, information will soon be posted on www.PHSFalcons.org.