A new memorial pays tribute to America’s M.I.As and P.O.W.s

Cal State Long Beach held a short ceremony in front of the Veteran’s Flag at the South Campus Quad Friday for National P.O.W/M.I.A Recognition Day.

The ceremony opened up with Troy Johnson, the president’s advisor on veterans Aaffairs, giving a remembrance for Jacob Hefter, the CSULB student who was killed in the Sept. 12 Metrolink crash. Hefter was one of the two youngest casualties on the train.

President F. King Alexander gave a speech commemorating P.O.W/ M.I.A.’s and he acknowledged how many of them have been students of CSULB.

“This day is an opportunity to look back and remember those we loved, and to be thankful for what we have now,” Alexander said.

President Alexander took a moment to remind the audience about the upcoming presidential election. He stated how our troops are fighting to support our democracy, and students need to take this opportunity to get out and vote this November.

“One of the most important freedom’s we have is on November 5th” Alexander said. “We have an obligation to those we have lost, and to those that have been missing. Certainly one of the most important freedoms they have been fighting for is our ability to show up at the voting booth and vote.”

Johnson introduced the crowd to the student-made memorial at the quad.  The memorial is a representation of bomb parts, with a dove perched on top, and around the edges a green plant grows. The memorial was said to be a symbol of hope that peace will eventually grow over and heal the world.

Johnson said that this nationally recognized day isn’t just about Vietnam, but it is a part of it. He wanted to make sure every person from any war, including the 30,314 M.I.A’s from World War II, 3,177 from the Korean War, and the 343 from the Cold War, that didn’t come home, were thought of as heroes.

Patrick O’ Rourke, Director of Veteran’s University under the college of Health and Human Services, shared a P.O.W. story that was close to his heart. The inspirational story was about three POWs with the spirit and willingness to never give up, and how some had to make the ultimate sacrifice to protect our democracy.

“Honor our nation’s lost souls, and their families that will never forget,” Rourke said.

The ceremony concluded with the National Anthem and the honor guard marching out to raise a brand new U.S. flag that will remain there until next year’s recognition ceremony.