Accident in front of Foundation building

A female student was hit by a Toyota on Thursday while walking in front of the Cal State Long Beach Foundation building around 8:35 a.m.

The driver said she was driving east on State University Drive when she stopped at the stop sign at Deukmejian Way, according to Stan Skipworth, chief of University Police. The driver then hit the pedestrian as she drove forward without seeing the pedestrian crossing the street.

The driver was driving at a low rate of speed since she hit the pedestrian just after making a stop, Skipworth said.

The pedestrian was not seriously injured as she was first placed on a stretcher, but then asked to walk into the ambulance, according to Greg Pascal, communications director for University Police.

The pedestrian also seemed to have been in a marked cross walk at the time of the accident. The student was taken to Saint Mary’s hospital, and has already been released.

No charges have been made, but the case is still under investigation.

“We don’t see any gross negligence on the part of anybody just yet,” Skipworth said.

University Police believe that direct sunlight may have been the reason for the driver not seeing the pedestrian, Skipworth said.

Skipworth said he didn’t remember any other accident like this at that intersection.

Stella Corrales, an administrator at the Foundation building, did not witness the accident but noticed the commotion once the ambulance pulled up. She said the intersection is often “out of hand” because drivers don’t always stop completely, run the stop signs or seem to be unaware of pedestrians crossing.

Corrales’ office is on the lower level and often sees the heavy traffic. According to Corrales, the intersection seems to be the busiest during lunch and 4 to 5 p.m.

However, this is the first time she has ever heard of an accident at this particular intersection.