CSULB graduation rates are on the rise

Despite budget woes from recent years at Cal State Long Beach, graduation rates are rising – but not the number of graduates.

According to Vice Provost for Planning and Budgets David Dowell, the number of students graduating from CSULB has decreased because of low enrollment numbers, a consequence of budget cuts.

A total of 6,841 CSULB students graduated in 2010 with bachelor’s degrees. That number dropped to 6,746 and 6,171 in 2011 and 2012, respectively.

However, the six-year graduation rates for the last three years have gone up from 53.2 percent in 2010 to 53.34 percent in 2011 and 56.62 percent in 2012.

The percentage of students graduating compared to the number of students enrolled in any given year has been increasing.

Dowell said that the number of students graduating is expected to increase in coming years due to the upsized enrollment this year.

The Cal State University system has seen graduation rates increase in the last 10 years, according to CSU Spokesman Erik Fallis. The CSU system has a six-year graduation rate of 51.3 percent for students who entered the system in 2006 as freshmen, according to the CSU website.

“In the last five years, the [graduation] rates across the CSU system have been heading in a positive direction,” Fallis said.

Dowell said that CSULB has made conscious efforts to increase the graduation rates.

“We have made a commitment to protect the availability of classes despite budget cuts,” Dowell said via email. “We have better advising and better support programs such as Beach Learning [Community] and [CSULB] Men’s Success.”

Dowell also said that CSULB is planning to implement blended instruction classes or classes that use a combination of technology and face-to-face interaction.

Communications professor and academic adviser Dawn Kelsey said he has also noticed a change in students wanting to graduate and graduate quickly.

“I think it is the students who are wanting to graduate and working harder for it,” Kelsey said. “I think it is the advisers helping students get out in a timely manner.”

Kelsey praised the university for its focus on student graduation.

“I think it is kind of the sum of the framework of the university in helping our students across the board in so many ways,” Kelsey said. “So many steps are being taken to assure that we are being there for our students and helping them graduate.”

Junior sports psychology major Christian Hernandez said he believes there are a few reasons why graduation rates are higher.

“I think the university has been working on making classes available and giving more options to graduate,” Hernandez said. “The advisers are helping, and more students are using the advisers for help.”

Hernandez also said that students are encouraged to graduate faster because of the rising cost of tuition. CSU tuition has doubled since 2007. He said that students who pay out of pocket are no longer “messing around” and want to get out quickly.

Sophomore health science major Kaci-Lyn Nishimura said the university is helping, but some students are not aware of the university’s efforts.

“Overall the school has a lot to offer but does not advertise it all,” Nishimura said. “[The university] definitely provides the resources, and professors are helping students along more than others.”