Treasurer Candidate: Elizabeth Espinoza

Name: Elizabeth Espinoza
Position: Treasurer
Year: Freshman
Major: Civil engineering major
GPA: 3.0
Ticket: None

Q: If elected, what do you hope to achieve as treasurer?
A: As treasurer, my responsibility is to revise the budget and make sure we don’t go over our budget. I just want to make sure our money gets allocated where it should be going and hopefully help students out with applying for scholarships. My job isn’t to give more money to a … certain area.  My job is just to manage the money.

Q: How are you qualified for this position?
A: As of now I am treasurer for Beachside College, and I am also chair of [the] budget committee there. So, I have experience with dealing with the money and all that.

Q: How will you advocate against budget cuts on behalf of students?
A: We are college students and tuition is really high, especially if you commute here or are dorming. Like I said, I can’t really tell people … where the money’s going to. I can just advise people to make sure they make the right decision on how we spend our money.

Q: Is there anything that you feel the current position holder is doing that you would do differently or continue?
A: Well, she is doing a really great job, and I have heard really great things about her.  I just want to be more involved and tell the organizations where the money is going to, and hopefully hold workshops to help students be able to receive more money.

Q: In your own words, what is the purpose of your position and the important duties?
A: The importance of my position would be to just help students and organizations receive the money and to spend it wisely so that we don’t … end up coming short at the end of the semester. It’s just really when we need it the most — after school and everything, with stress with classes — just to be able to put the money to good use.

Q: How will you increase communication between ASI and the students?
A: I would like to be present in most of the meetings that organizations have … and just be able to talk to a lot more students and make sure they know that we are here to help them. This is their money to see the way they want to spend it.

Q: Describe a time when you were faced with problems or stresses that tested your coping skills.  How did you handle that situation?
A: Well, I am [an engineering] major and we do get a lot of stress thrown at us.  I am involved in a lot of clubs and aside from that, I’ve had family problems.  I just gotta take it slow and just breathe through it [and] make it all happen at the end.

Q: What do you want students to know about you?
A: I’m really an organized person.  I’m great with people. I’m easygoing.  I’ll make this a good year for us.