Shouting the Word

Devout Christians and preachers Ron Underwood and Brother Keith, who chose not to provide his last name, yelled at students Monday while preaching their message of God on the grass near the University bookstore.

“He was saying some really nasty things,” freshman communications major Austin Fowler said. “I walked over there and told him to stop yelling at some girl… because that’s not okay. Not upon anyone’s standards is it okay to yell at someone like that.”

Fowler said he engaged in conversation with Underwood and Keith for about 30 minutes. Fowler said Underwood was yelling hate speech about Muslims and the gay community at passersby.

“If he truly loved God, he wouldn’t be that negative and throwing Bible quotes around,” junior recreations major said Josh Hunn after briefly speaking with Underwood. “I don’t agree with how he’s doing it, but if that’s what he feels is right, then that’s what is right for him.

Underwood said he travels to CSU’s and other various schools in Southern California during the winter to preach his message.

“There’s a lot of believers here too and we’ve been able to have some good fellow ship and some mutual encouragement,” Underwood said. “I’ve been encouraged by what I’ve seen out here.”

Underwood and Keith said they would both be back on campus Tuesday. Underwood said California State University, Long Beach is his favorite campus for preaching because of the “good feedback” and “positive responses” from students.