CSULB hosts a Young Women’s Empowerment conference

University President Jane Close-Conoley asked how many in an audience of about 150 female high school students want to go to college, and every student in the room raised her hand.

“That decision opens doors,” Conoley told the audience.

60 percent of women in the United States earn college degrees annually, compared to 40 percent of men. According to the Center for American Progress, women still “lag substantially behind men when it comes to their representation in leadership positions.”

California State University, Long Beach and Congressman Alan Lowenthal hosted the Young Women’s Empowerment Conference Saturday in order to teach attendees about post-high school options and to encourage them to think about creating their own pathway to success, according to Lowenthal’s website.

About 4 percent of Fortune 500 CEOs are women. In the U.S., women hold 52 percent of all professional level jobs, comprising about 15 percent of executive officers and about 8 percent of top earners, according to the Center for American Progress.

“I think part of the reason [women do not have as many leadership positions] is that you still have stereotypes that men can do a better job than women can,” Emily Williams, the event moderator, said, “But then you also have…women who enter the work force and then leave when they have families and you don’t have that as often with men.”

As the keynote speaker, Conoley reflected on the fact that she was the first female president at California State University, Long Beach.

“I had the advantage of seeing women in leadership roles and I think that made a big difference,” Conoley said. “Now looking back, I can see that it gave me a certain edge and confidence.”

A “selfie” booth was front and center at the event, surrounded by posters reading “Linking Learning to Life; #BrightYoungWomen” and prop sticks with phrases that read “I can be a…” ‘scientist,’ ‘visionary,’ ‘techie,’ ‘lawyer,’ ‘myself,’ ‘anything,’ etc.” Lowenthal and Conoley also encouraged students to Tweet and post Instagram pictures using #BrightYoungWomen while a large screen showed live coverage of the event.

“We find situations where young women, especially from…lower income families, or young women where they’re the first in their families to have the opportunity to go to college, think that its out of reach and so they don’t even try,” Conoley said.

Students spent the rest of the day attending workshops on applying and preparing for college and participating in discussions about education, careers, and personal growth with successful women in a variety of professions.

During the event, Long Beach Councilmembers Suzie Price and Lena Gonzalez presented the workshop entitled “Run For Office, Be A Leader…And Make A Difference.”

“Hopefully that leaves a positive impression on them because the more women who get educated and pursue leadership opportunities, the more we are going to be able to close that gap [in leadership roles],” Price said.

For conference opportunities focused on women on campus, the Women’s Resource Center is hosting the 16 Annual Women and Careers Conference on Wednesday March 4 in the USU Ballroom from 3:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.