Honor society reactivates at CSULB

An honor society for international education that began at California State University, Long Beach is finding its way back home.

CSULB founded Phi Beta Delta, the first honor society dedicated to recognizing scholarly achievement in international education, in 1986. The Alpha Chapter is reactivating the honor society for students, staff and faculty after being absent for a number of years, according to Colette Redden, the Center for International Education administrative coordinator.

Although there is no specific reason to explain why Phi Beta Delta left CSULB, Linda Olson Levy, a past chapter coordinator, said she believes the society might have left because of the retirement of Paul Lewis, the former director for the Center for International Students.

“I think it’s coming back to our campus because it’s such an honor,” Redden said. “It’s a prestigious society and it has so many different vehicles to support domestic-international engagement.”

Rosette Santiago, the executive assistant for Phi Beta Delta, said the honor society aims to serve as a driving force for the development of academic-based international programming.

“Phi Beta Delta wants to provide a network for faculty, staff and students involved in international endeavors and shows the attainment of excellence in study abroad,” Santiago said. “More and more employers are taking heed of the qualities of those who travel abroad for some or all of their higher education.”

Membership in the society is open to individuals who have demonstrated scholarly achievement in the international area, Santiago said. This includes international students, domestic students in the pursuit of academic studies abroad and faculty and staff who have been involved in recognized international endeavors.

Criteria for eligibility of membership are a minimum 3.2 grade point average for undergraduate students, a 3.5 grade point average for graduate students and a demonstrated commitment to international engagement, Redden said.

Redden said that since it is in the beginning stages of reactivation, the society is still determining dues and fees.