LBPD release 911 call on fatally shot student

The Long Beach Police Department released Wednesday the recording of the initial 911 phone call about Feras Morad, a Woodland Hills native who the LBPD fatally shot on 15th Street last week.

The person making the phone call reported Morad as “intoxicated” and “maybe a little bit” violent, though police reported Morad was unarmed.

Morad’s friends and family held a candlelight vigil for him in Woodland Hills, Wednesday night. He was accepted to California State University, Long Beach and planned on studying business and political science. According to a Facebook page dedicated to him, he also competed in debates across the country.

According to a press release sent out by the Long Beach Police Department, Morad was allegedly under the influence of drugs during the events that led to his death. The report states that he jumped from a two-story window after getting into an altercation with his friends.

The report also states that the officer was unable to subdue Morad. The officer tried to apprehend Morad with a Taser and used a flashlight as a weapon.

Morad allegedly advanced toward the officer and told the officer he was going to attack him, and as a result the officer drew his weapon and shot Morad, the police report said.

Police say the officer involved was the only law enforcement agent at the scene when he pulled the trigger.

Medics pronounced Morad dead on arrival to a local hospital, the police report said.

Three separate law enforcement agencies are investigating the officer’s actions to determine if the officer’s use of force was justified, police said. Long Beach Police, the Los Angeles District Attorney, and the Los Angeles Coroner’s Office are investigating the shooting.

“The investigations continue,” spokesperson for the Long Beach Police Cynthia Arrona said. “Detectives interview new witnesses who are coming forward each day, to try to get a complete picture of what happened that day.”

Arrona said that the Police Department reassigned the officer away from the field.

“As is standard in officer involved shootings, the officer is out of the field pending a review of this incident by the chief of police,” Arrona said.

Deputy Chief of the Long Beach Police David Hendricks said that the officer could face jail time if he wrongfully shot Morad.

“Unarmed people just by the virtue of being unarmed are not a non threat,” Hendricks said.

The investigations will determine through autopsy reports, eye-witness testimony and other evidence to determine if the officer was justified in his use of force.

“[Police] have due process like everyone else,” Hendricks said. “If we find them [guilty], we want them out.”

The Coroner’s autopsy report, which may reveal key evidence in the shooting, takes as long as eight weeks to complete, Hendricks said.

Long Beach Police said that they are unable to confirm whether Morad was under the influence of any mind-altering substance.

Justice for Feras is holding a rally Thursday at 4 p.m. at Lincoln Park in Long Beach to demand action against the officer who shot Morad.